Do you agree or disagree with Plato's view?

Do you agree or disagree with Plato's view that there is "a right and wrong way" when it comes to music and that it is incorrect to judge music merely by the "pleasure it gave"?

Through music, man has expressed his deepest emotions—joy, sorrow, outrage, and love. Music thus played an important role in Bible times, being mentioned throughout that sacred book.—Genesis 4:21; Revelation 18:22.

Music was not always put to such a lofty use, however. At Mount Sinai, music was used to spur on the idolatrous worship of a golden calf. (Exodus 32:18) Music was also on occasion linked with drunken behavior and even prostitution. (Psalm 69:12; Isaiah 23:15)

Music has the power to move, to enthrall, and to influence so there is good reason for you to be cautious in your choice of music. The apostle Paul said at Ephesians 5:15, 16: “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked.”

I think of Manson, who took the Beatle's White Album to a whole new level, using it to commit his crimes. Music is a divine gift. For many, though, it becomes an unhealthy preoccupation. These are like the Israelites of old who enjoyed the playing of “stringed instrument, tambourine and flute, . . . but the activity of Jehovah they [did] not look at.” (Isaiah 5:12)

So, i agree with Plato's view when it comes to music.

Source(s): jw.org

Music is supposed to be pleasurable, and we don't like it if it isn't. Plato made his premises based on people being dictated by their senses, but since music is relative to the sense of hearing, then Plato can't be right.

Disagree. Judging it by the pleasure it gives is fine. It can be judged in other ways too. That's fine too.

• Music is definitely a complicated subject to judge through linguistic means. I tend just to listen to it, and feel the vibe of it, and if it syncs with me, than I like it. I am sure one could overthink the whole thing though, and there is probably, somewhere out there, a philosophy of music. I don't think Plato goes into detail himself about the philosophy of music, but I agree with what you think he said here.

What I am listening to these days is: Psy-dub, psychill, atmospheric techno, dub techno, and minimal techno. I listen to music almost all day, every day. I recommend these genres. There a different feel than pop.

Definitely, your view is wrong and mine is great. This is the only and absolute answer