Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality Β· 4 weeks ago

According to Christianity, what happens to the soul when people get dementia? Does the soul stay fully intact, even if it seems deteriorated?

• Justin

The 'soul' is the second deepest level of human experience, ('heart,' 'soul,' 'mind,' 'strength' Mark 12:30, etc...).

The conscious intellect, (the domain of 'dementia'), is the shallowest, (Greek: 'nous'), which is part of what the Bible describes as a human being's domain of 'strength,' (Greek: 'ischus'). This includes the physical body and its biological processes along with the conscious intellect. The 'mind,' (Greek: 'dianoia,' from 'dia-' 'deep' and 'nous' 'conscious intellect'), is a distinct 'person' who connects to larger human visions and ambitions, like social movements and collective ideological momentum. We are usually less aware of the activities of this 'person' than we are of the conscious self. The 'soul' is deeper still and the analogy of a great sailing vessel set upon the ocean is used to describe the relationship between our 'soul,' (Greek: 'psuche'), and our 'heart,' (Greek: 'kardia').

The 'heart' is like the vast ocean of experience where we perceive the entire cosmos from within ourselves. It is like an ocean of potential and is the access point we have to all possible influences. The 'soul' is our personal 'vessel' for navigating this ocean, expressing our choices and determining our overall journey. Our 'mind' ('deep intellect'), is like its captain and the conscious processes are more like the ship's crew.

Our 'soul' is always awake and watching, not directly affected by the other levels except in the sense of learning lessons by viewing their dramas. So to my soul, seeing my body trapped in a state of dementia resulting from poor health, bad ideological connections and mistreatment of oneself or mistreatment by others is a drama that contains lessons, which I may or may not choose to pursue. The health of my soul is largely determined by the choices made in my heart, which can either reject Christ or receive Him there, either beginning a journey 'home' to GOD under His inspiration, or embarking on a shipwreck under the inspiration of evil.

The analogy may be difficult to grasp since a ship is usually not viewed as a 'person,' but, essentially, it is like asking if the 'ship' remains intact when the captain and his crew are demented, or if the captain is fine but some of his crew are demented. It affects the journey and the 'ship' but not as much as the overall inspiration driving the total drama, which is either GOD or evil. That is what ultimately matters most.

9"...that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." (Romans 10:9-10).

Humans are souls. We are breathing and self-conscious beings. Whatever affects our brain, will alter our consciousness.

• Joe

The Bible does not speak on this specifically, however, God is sovereign over all things and whom He elects for salvation is according to the counsel of His own will. Intellectual capacity or having a mental disorder has no bearing on salvation. If it did, someone would be able to boast in themselves and say, "I got saved by God because I am smarter than that guy over there" or "I got saved because I did not have dementia in my lifetime".

That is not how salvation works and God is the one who gets all of the glory for salvation.

The New Testament reveals that God can reverse all illness and even death. There is no mention of medical details about those whom Jesus cured. Dementia is an illness that is classified by our science as a disorder in the brain. The brain is a part of our physical being. What would make it any different than the illness that is classified by our science as "physical"?

• The way I see it, the brain is like a computer control mechanism for the body. Your spirit, or soul if you insist, is just fine.

• Climate Realist
      4 weeks agoReport

I see. A damaged brain is like a computer that keeps on freezing and/or crashing, and the soul is like the user with the keyboard and mouse.

The Soul is a metaphysical thingy...... Not real!

Just like God and the Afterlife are not real....

Everyone over 75 years old suffers some degree of Dementia.

That's why we retire, relax and enjoy life....

• Climate Realist
      4 weeks agoReport

I will answer here, since Ubar hates the truth.

The Bible does not say.

But, if the soul is sufficiently intact for resurrection after death, dementia should not ruin the soul, itself.

God is the ultimate judge.

...forget dementia...

How about being born with severe autism?

https://youtu.be/j4PTf7LgsIE

Youtube thumbnail

You need to observe Reynaldo Week's behavior very and there's your answer.