Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Is this a bad reason to put a cat to sleep?

Imagine someone owns a cat in thier mid to late teens. Its diagnosed with multiple chronic age related health issues. The owner is iether unwilling or unable to afford to treat the health issues. Would it be wrong to have the cat put to sleep?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

If the cat is suffering really bad then no

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No. IMO a person should not be judged if they have no money to treat an ill pet that is at the end of its life. Financial consideration should be a part of the decision. If the quality of life is gone with little to no chance to improve it, then the best thing to do is put the pet down humanely.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Not really. If they surrendered the cat, the cat would either by euthanized by the shelter or live in a cage for months before being euthanized.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Even the "no kill shelters" will not keep a very old sick cat - they will send it to another shelter to be put down. Don't kid yourself Nicholas.

• 4 weeks ago

It's completely okay. Death is not the worst thing to happen to pets and humans, people just don't realize it. If your cat has lived a happy and healthy life, it is better to euthanize him/her instead of dropping them off at a pet shelter, where they will live the rest of their lives in loneliness and misery. If your cat is in pain, and if you cannot find another person to take care of them, then you can put them to sleep. Be sure to be with them in their last moments, if you don't you will regret it for the rest of your life. Good luck for you and your kitty :)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ken S
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Suppose you had diabetes and didn't have enough money for insulin. Should you be killed?

• Nicholas4 weeks agoReport

Should I be killed. Id rather be peacefully put to sleep, than die a painfull death. Yes.

• 4 weeks ago

If the cat has lost its ability to thrive then its probably best to put it down.

• Nathan
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

If the cat is suffering, then it is the best option . Ideally you want them to pay for it, but even a shelter probably wouldn't take the animal in for vet treatment or would euthanize it due to the cost

• 4 weeks ago

As heart-breaking as it may be, from what you describe it appears that the cat is probably in pain and distress.

In circumstances like this it is a humane decision to help it find peace and let it go peacefully and painlessly.

Having had to make the very difficult decision to euthanise a pet myself it is one of the saddest things I have ever done but I know that my pet is now out of pain and distress.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No, that is done all the time. However, it would be questionable if the "age related issues" were things like "going deaf". But fine if it is painful for the cat to "stand up", "urinate", etc.

• Ocimom
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Then the cat is put down Nicholas - what part of this do you not understand?

• 4 weeks ago

There's never any bad reasons to put a cat to sleep. There's way too many cats in this world.. A few less isnt a loss.

• J C
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

Nekkid does not like cats by his own admission. Why he posts here is beyond me.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.