Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Do you believe in fate or do you believe that we are the creators of our own destinies? Why do you think this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

Fate is written in stone by the one who lives it.

• Dejair
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Without action occurs the fate ( no responsibility no happiness ). Thus we must study the natural laws and apply knowledge for our harmonization ( success in being ). Super-health, shiny youth, comfortable wealth !

• 1 month ago

I believe in free will rather than fate.

• 1 month ago

Both. We choose, but it's a false choice. Like imagine you have an infinite meadow, and you imagine choosing a path across it. Whatever choices you make, could lead you down different paths, so you imagine multiple other paths (not taken). But as you only get this one life, and you can only live it forward (or backwards if you get deep in the weeds of causality), whatever path you walk becomes the only one. You still walk it, you do choose it, but there are no other paths you could have taken, so it is fate. Wind back causality, and it will play out the same way every time. It doesn't mean we don't create what happens, but the thing getting created is our destiny. There is no alternative (without being an alternate reality, and then it is not in this plane of existence anyway).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Henry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Depends on what is meant by that. The God issue comes into play there.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

"If these men die the death of all men or if they suffer the fate of all men, then the LORD has not sent me."

People who have wealth but lack understanding

are like the beasts that perish.

• 1 month ago

I believe in both. I believe that your choices determine you destiny but also that your personality destines you to choose they choices that you will ultimately choose.

• 1 month ago

I am a hard causal determinist. an event is a transfer of energy from cause to effect. choices are events. therefore, they are a part of the unbreakable causal chain initiated by the big bang. even my choices are determined by the initial state of everything. the only challenge I see to this is quantum mechanics, which we merely don't understand the causes OF. there's no way to prove that an event has no cause what so ever, and in fact if an event is observed, then a cause can be inferred. and there is no evidence of any quantum influence on our brains or consciousness.

and even if there were, the two choices are that it's not random, in which case your decisions would logically be outside your control, or it's random, in which case your decisions would be outside your control by definition.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As you believe, that is itself a conditioning. If you believe in inexorable fate, then by God's will.... However, if you are aware that God expects right behavior, and/or your humanist self perceives it has some effect, then the situations (of God dictating free will which is therefore not free but of Calvinist "elect" or simple submission to God, or of you deciding which shirt you will put on) are put into an essentially infinite regress of von Neumannian framings in order to handle the logically-unanswerable question of originary or co-creativity with Energy, God, the One (~ "turtles all the way down," as an explanation of how the Earth rests in space).

So, imho, each person is unique in their degrees of freedom or agency exercising energy. Thus a Christ Jesus may well be co-creating with God, e.g., He forgives a sinner of his sins...and then, when He reads the minds of the religious, who are murmuring "blasphemy, only God may forgive sins," then He proceeds to heal the physical condition, saying "That ye may know that the Son of man has power on earth to forgive sins...." (Matthew 9:6) It is on those occasions when Jesus, moved by compassion, apparently has co-creatorship or co-agency with God, i.e., able to add to His mission, which of course was said to be Messias unto those sheep of the Israelites who were no longer honoring the intent of God and His chosen people (Matthew, himself quite the Jewish Israelite, and who writes his Gospel as a message to other fellow Jews, refers in his Gospel to the Israelites, prior to the Crucifixion, and after that signature event terms them loudaioi, or "Jews," i.e. positing that those Israelites who rejected Jesus post-Crucifixion were no longer of the chosen people, and that, somewhat regrettably for Saint Matthew, the Israelite heritage and opportunity for recognizing Messias and carrying forth the Lord's mission to the nations, was being supplanted by those such as Saint Luke, aka converting to the "People of the Way" true-path which later became termed, somewhat derogatorily at first, "Christians."

Those who are like Jesus, having that Mind which was also in Him, are likewise Sons and Daughters of God, and able to develop some co-authorship with the Father-Mother. E.g., a Paramhansa Yogananda, a Sri Ramakrishna, a Saint Catherine of Siena, a Saint Padre Pio, et al.

God is bigger than the box some or many would put God into, and God's desire is to assist all to become more able to co-manage their destinies.

Related:

"Man, Master of His Destiny;"

"The Path of the Higher Self;"

"Beams from Meher Baba;"

"Autobiography of a Yogi," by Paramhansa Yogananda;

"Kundalini West;"

"Answers," by Mother Meera https://www.mothermeera.com

• Dze
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

we have the capacity to create ..

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.