So my daughter ask if she could go to bathroom and the teacher replied "yes you can"?

so my daughter proceeded to go to the bathroom when she got back to class to sign in the teacher got on to her and told her she did not give her permission to leave so they began debating back and forth about it finally she tells my daughter to go to her seat so my daughter does as she is walking back to her seat the teacher says "O just get over yourself", my daughter is bothered by this has the seventh grade teacher overstepped her boundaries should I call the school and do something about this 

• GB

Your daughter was asking permission, and took 'Yes you can', as permission. The teacher was wasting time by starting a debate, to the detriment of all the students.  You should enquire about the school policy about the correct way to ask to use the bathroom during class time.

Do the students go to different classes for different subjects at your daughter's school? We did at my comprehensive (which takes age 11 to 18.)  If they  do, then it's easy to make bathroom visits between classes.

Well first of all your daughter was being kind of bratty from what it sounds like because she probably got up without permission. You should ask the teacher for her side of the story so that you can get more of an idea of exactly what happened. Also telling her to get over herself isn't bad if she was already acting like an entitled brat. If the teacher was making her go all day without using the bathroom even after she asked a dozen times and she went anyway then yes, I can see why your daughter was so defiant but if she only asked once and she went anyway then that's an issue and shows that you didn't raise her correctly.

• J M

You should listen to the teacher's side of the story. All you are hearing is what your daughter said.

No matter what happened, your daughter should not have been debating back and forth with the teacher. The way your daughter should have handled it is that she could have said she misunderstood and apologized.

The truth is in the middle, and I would bet your daughter is making a lot of this up.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

The teacher was trying to teach the kid proper English. If the kid said, "CAN" I go; he's asking if he is physically able to go to the bath room (Yes, he is). "MAY" I go is asking permission.

Here's my .02 cents

She shouldn't have to ask if she can use the bathroom, that's not his call to make! If she needs to use it, she can and should, as long as she exits the classroom quietly and without disrupting the class.

Teacher was out of line.

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

"MAY I go" is asking permission. "CAN I go"  is asking if he is physically able to go to the rest room.

• helene

I'm thinking your daughter probably left out the part where she went into full martyr mode, or flounced back to her seat heaving a sigh and rolling her eyes.

• Edna

The kid said "Can I go to the restroom? ". The teacher told her that she COULD go (if she thought she was able to do so). The kid should have asked "May I go to the restroom?" "May I" is asking for permission; "Can I" isn't asking for permission.

• Tulip

Trolling trolling

You don't know the whole story and what the teacher said wasn't bad . Don't raise a snowflake they can't survive in the real adult world.

Source(s): You are a college student ?.? Your question history.

You don't know the full story.  You are only hearing half of it from a TEENAGER.  You may want to believe your daughter is being 100% honest with you, but, until you have the truth you cannot DO anything.  You would look like a fool if you go to the school to complain with out facts to back this allegation up.

• Crystal8 months agoReport

I can understand what you are saying that is why I emailed the teacher to find out what really happened

I am not concerned with embarrassing myself I am however concerned as to why they are treated my daughter the way they are and telling her to get over herself is just as good as saying you think you better than everyone else. If this is the best reply you have for my question then don't bother

Lol,yeah sure ....call the school and embarrass yourself.