? asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 4 weeks ago

Do you think over stretched London police will succeed in prosecuting the commuters who pulled protesters from a train?

They said it was unacceptable to pull them off the trains

• Ludwig

Yes. They are Guilty of Taking the Law into their Own Hands.

Also, many of them were of dusky hue, and must be reprimanded.

• Gerald

I think we are all journalists nasty nasty little people ready for a fight what do you think ? look at our celebs Piers Morgan Simon Cowell, Clarkson ,Philip Green , Jeremy Vine, Carol Malone, talk radio hosts know what I mean yeah Daily Mail the Sun know what I mean yeah they have us whipped up into nut cases know what I mean what do you think man ? and of course our own Dianne the epitome of Britishness who wants St George when you have the dragon

The first man who tried to 'help the silly man off the train' got a nasty kick from the silly man: so I hope he presses assault charges. But someone also has to address the mentality of someone who sees someone else on top of a train and thinks, 'I'm going to pull him off'. Nobody should be pulling anybody off at that time of the day in public.

• Tony
      4 weeks agoReport

I understand the mentality of commuters. But I was making a joke with 'pull him off'.

Miracle do happen London police is efficient

of course they might have to investigate people, they aren't here to take sides - it looks like protesters were struck - that's not often legal.

I'm not sure about wrestling them off the carriages, it seems that they were trying to prevent themselves from being hindered, I'm not sure if it goes beyond 'reasonable force'.

I doubt the protesters would charge them, their beef is with the government not the public.

I would hope they will accept that the people of this country have been persistently lied to about climate change over the years thanks to lobbyists buying our politicians and the media and because of that most people are uninformed and liable to believe its a just a bunch of hippies taking too much drugs and freaking out about nothing, so in those circumstances you must understand their individual wrath.

I also notice that some right-wing commentators including Piers Morgan are attempting to paint this as a class war between bourgeois lefties and the salt of the earth working class, this doesn't help to mitigate the tensions and ER should quickly move to quash that BS.

• P

I hope not, but it's just the sort of thing to happen.

The poor protesters are the unfortunate victims whereas the commuters are the vicious perpetrators hell bent on violence. Better get a compensation claim together before we all disappear under the waves.

🙈

• Biff

The police aren't going to waste time identifying the commuters to charge them with common assault unless any of the protestors suffered significant harm.

Police don't handle prosecutions.

British Transport Police are a different concern to the Metropolitan Police (they are primarily funded by the Railway Companies) and there is no suggestion they are over-stretched. They will doubtless seek prosecution of the protestors, but it is doubtful they will go after members of the public who used reasonable force to detain those committing a crime, even if they don't condone such actions. In any event it will be up to the Crown Prosecution Service.