Amber
Lv 4
Amber asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 month ago

A question about Evolution and life?

If Evolution is the term for the development of an organism over time what is the term for the study of organisms beginning. Is that also called evolution? Because it's not about anything changing over time, just life beginning. I need the scientific term, if there is one. Thank you.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom S
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Biogenesis......

• 1 month ago

If you are asking for the term for the beginning of living things, it's abiogenesis.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Evolution is the term for genetic changes to populations over generations. Evolution does NOT happen to individual organisms. Perhaps you're looking for 'speciation' which is a possible consequence of evolution. Yet speciation is also a population- level event - it doesn't happen to individuals.

Science has no theory for the origins of life, just competing hypotheses.

• 1 month ago

origin. you said it yourself. a thing has to exist before it can evolve. coming into existence is generally expressed by the word originate or its variants. Organisms do not evolve in the way you discuss, but populations evolve in character. Individuals do evolve (I am not the child I once was) but not in the way that the word is used to mean in terms of evolution of species.

One could use synonyms to origin, such as beginning or genesis. Creation is not typically used because that implies the result of an action of a third party. Create is what entities do, so a creation is the consequence of what an entity did. The creation is still original, came to be via an origin, but with the specific idea that some"one" made it happen. Create is to make. originate is to come into existence for the first time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

How could a mindless process make a mind?

How could nature ‘think ahead’ to create perfectly opposite and complimentary sex organs in plants and animals?

If your brain is just the result of billions of cosmic ‘accidents’ how could you trust it for rational thought?

If the combined intelligence and technology of the human race can’t produce just one living cell (let alone a self-replicating blade of grass) from scratch, how could a non-intelligent process produce the intricacies and diversity of the interdependant infrastructure we see?

And how could matter itself ingeniously self-replicate? And what caused the natural and moral constants? And what is the basis for moral beliefs if there is no ultimate truth? All you would have left are opinions; one would be just as valid as the next.

Don't allow anyone to dictate to you what to think. Fish eggs are still fish eggs and chicken eggs are still chicken eggs. No animal morphed into another animal (not to be confused with speciation as within dog breeds or slight changes within a species to adapt to environment). Look at the evidence honestly then decide for yourself.

The word 'dinosaur' came from two Greek words that mean 'terrible lizard': a word made up in the 1800s to describe reptile fossils (fossil is from the French for 'dug up').

Under the forces of extreme pressure, everything that was engulfed in mud during the world-wide flood turned into stone. For a year and a half minerals permiated plant and animal tissues. The mud also became stone as it compressed under the weight of billions of tons of water. Stone cannot be dated. Once around the sun is a year: you cannot hold up a rock and decide how many times it has been around the sun.

When a fish dies, it rots or gets eaten; it does NOT turn into a fossil. But there are fish fossils everywhere; even on the tops of mountains. Every fossil is the result of the world wide flood. Period.

Pre-flood life spans were ten times longer. Tusks, antlers, horns, fangs, trees, bugs and reptiles grew huge. I used to work with reptiles: among many things I learned about them was that they NEVER stop growing as long as they live.

Pre-flood the air had 50% more oxygen in it.

Hyper-oxygenated air meant the world was like a hyperbaric chamber, everything lived longer because of the air quality. We know this because we have air samples from before the flood; extracted from bubbles trapped in fossilized sap (amber).

Adam lived until he was 930. Noah was 600 when he built the Ark (Google Noah's Ark Turkey - a tourist attraction since the 1970's A.D.).

Believing in lies about evolution makes you guilty of making God out to be a liar. This is slander against the Most High: spiritual treason.

You've heard of bacteria 'evolving'?

No such thing: simply, the hardier bacteria were never killed off by the antibiotic in the first place. The weaker bacteria were. All that's left is 'resistant' bacteria. They were never subject to antibiotics to begin with. They never 'evolved': they are still and always will be, just bacteria.

Want to see evolution?

If God wants to raise children for Abraham from the stones He can do it.

He doesn't need any of us.

He can change what is in the blink of an eye.... He doesn't need millenia.

• Anonymous
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

If something or someone created God, then eventually you would have to end up with an UNcreated entity, that you would have to label 'God'. Derision is always the sign of a poor argument.

• CRR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The origin of life from non-living matter by purely natural means is called Abiogenesis and is a form of spontaneous generation. The term was coined by Thomas Huxley after spontaneous generation was disproved.

Whether it is part of the Theory of Evolution (TOEv) depends on opinion. In 2009 the AAAS (American Assoc for the Advancement of Science) produced the "Darwin 200 Collection" and the first article was "On the Origin of Life on Earth", so I guess that means the AAAS includes abiogenesis in the TOEv.

• Maybe metaphysics (probably not)

I think you can just say the "Study of origins" or something like that

• 1 month ago

Genesis (15 minimum)

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Evolution is heritable change, meaning changes that can be passed along to future generations. Biological evolution are changes that are passed along through changes in the genes. Cultural evolution are behavior that can be passed along through learning, instead of being encoded in the DNA.

The study of how life began is indeed part of the study of evolution. It is called the origin of life. Currently, scientists think that life began here on earth and that life evolved from organic chemials that are created naturally due to the conditions of the early earth. The theory that life evolved from non-living chemicals here on earth is known as abiogenesis.

• Amber
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Thanks for the info. The term was right on the tip of my tongue I just couldn't remember it.

• 1 month ago

It's called Abiogenesis

• Amber
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

That's it! It was on the tip of my tongue. Your awesome

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.