Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 9 months ago

Hypothetically if you did something illegal in America, can you refuse to comply with investigations as a defense?

• Cathy

yes. months ago an FBI agent wanted to speak to me. I refused to say anything whatsoever. He left and I never heard from him again

Source(s): Perry Mason and Donald Trump

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING OR DO ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP THE PROSECUTION

The constitution says YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TESTIFY AGAINST YOURSELF and you ALSO Have the Right to not say anything to the cops, you do have the right to a lawyer. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION at all that may make you guilty of anything.

Sure, yes. However, the police here wouldn't be allowed to arrest you for a crime if they couldn't prove you did it, with the prosecutor's OK. Non-compliance with investigations (pleading the fifth) is a good legal argument, but one judges have heard before.

• Sally

Let me ask you this: if you get a speeding ticket and it says you have to appear in court on a certain date, do you have to go? Or is it fine to just say you don't want to and besides maybe the cops were out to get you?

You can call it a witch hunt and refuse to show up for Court.  There's nothing they can do then.  

Whatever you do don't let them put you under oath cause that's a perjury trap.

As long as you don't cooperate and stop anyone else from cooperating it'll be deemed a nothing burger and you'll be exonerated!  Good luck!

I mean, you do have the right to not self-incriminate so there is that.

You mean take the fifth? Of course, you don't have to help investigators at all. It's their job to find you guilty, not the other way around.

• Sfancik

Can I fire them?