Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 1 month ago

Hypothetically if you did something illegal in America, can you refuse to comply with investigations as a defense?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

yes. months ago an FBI agent wanted to speak to me. I refused to say anything whatsoever. He left and I never heard from him again

Source(s): Perry Mason and Donald Trump
  • 1 month ago

YOU DON'T HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING OR DO ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP THE PROSECUTION

• 1 month ago

The constitution says YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TESTIFY AGAINST YOURSELF and you ALSO Have the Right to not say anything to the cops, you do have the right to a lawyer. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PROVIDE ANY INFORMATION at all that may make you guilty of anything.

• 1 month ago

Sure, yes. However, the police here wouldn't be allowed to arrest you for a crime if they couldn't prove you did it, with the prosecutor's OK. Non-compliance with investigations (pleading the fifth) is a good legal argument, but one judges have heard before.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Sally
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Let me ask you this: if you get a speeding ticket and it says you have to appear in court on a certain date, do you have to go? Or is it fine to just say you don't want to and besides maybe the cops were out to get you?

• Henry
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I don't think that works.

• 1 month ago

You can call it a witch hunt and refuse to show up for Court.  There's nothing they can do then.  

Whatever you do don't let them put you under oath cause that's a perjury trap.

As long as you don't cooperate and stop anyone else from cooperating it'll be deemed a nothing burger and you'll be exonerated!  Good luck!

• 1 month ago

I mean, you do have the right to not self-incriminate so there is that.

• 1 month ago

You mean take the fifth? Of course, you don't have to help investigators at all. It's their job to find you guilty, not the other way around.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.