Noise canceling earphone and how do they work?

Need help on finding an explanation.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

There's two types "passive" and "active" passive fit tight on your ear so as to block outside sounds active uses electronics and mics to create a frequency designed to block outside noises

• Robert J
      Lv 7
      2 weeks agoReport

Cancelling can only be active. Passive can only limit or try to block it, not cancel it.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The headphone emits sounds that are the same frequency and amplitude as the noise but 180 degrees out of phase. The two waves cancel each other. You can try it yourself. Reverse the polarity of the wire going to one speaker (connect the + wire to the - terminal of the speaker) while leaving the other speaker correctly wired. You will notice a noticeable drop in bass response because the sound waves from one speaker cancel the waves from the other speaker because they are 180 degrees out of phase.

• NONAME
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

A microphone on each ear piece? jesus your dumb...You know what may some of the super expensive ones do work like that,...no nevermind...they work by playing a fequency or several that cancel out sound...my brother says he can hear this frequency and it gives him a headache...i think its all in his head because i cant hear anything.

• 4 weeks ago

they cancel out noise so you dont have to hear it

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Wow - deep scientific explanation - as usual. Why do you even bother?????

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

They have a microphone on each earpiece.

The outside sound is picked up by the mics, processed, inverted and added in to the audio fed to the earpiece speakers.

When it works properly, it cancels out the outside sounds leaking through the earphone housings.

Example - you can clearly see the microphone housing on the outside of each earpiece on these.

The electronics that do the signal processing are in the box in line with the cable.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.