If a satellite passed directly over you is there an effect caused by the atmosphere that would make it shoot of sideways like shooting star?

I was in the garden staring up at a clear night sky. I noticed a small dot (looked like a star) moving North. I watched it as i slowly moved north in the sky. At about 20 degrees from the horizon it shot of like a shooting star to the right and slightly up. The next night (at the same time of night) i was doing the same and in the same region of sky the dot had disappeared, I noticed what looked like a shooting star that came from the left side. Where it ended i became a dot that then traveled south in the sky overhead. I believe it was a satellite but confused by the shooting star part.

I saw a UFO when I was a young girl 

and the memory of it has not left me. 

Like you, I tried to reason what else it could have been, but I could not. I am still curious as to how it maneuvered the way that it did, and more than that, who was at the controls. I believe that you truly did see something very special.

Satellites don't change a path at all. Meteorites are often deflected by the outer atmosphere, but still much follow a ballistic trajectory.

You spot an orbiting satellite, it might resemble a very high flying aircraft until sunlight no longer hits it, then the quickly vanish from view.

The ISS is one very easy to spot just after sunset or just before sunrise.

If you live in latitudes below 30* , Hubble is another often spotted.

Some few weather sats have been spotted.

The shooting star thing happens all the time, more frequent during showers.

• poldi2

What you saw was a satellite, and it appeared to change direction because of the change in angle of the reflective surface of the satellite.

The sky is difficult for the eye to fix upon. So it is very easy for your attention to be diverted from one object in the sky to another. This is quite common, and I have experienced it myself.

What happens is that you are watching a satellite. Then you blink or look away momentarily. When you look up again, your eye sees either a different satellite moving in a different direction, or it sees a shooting star. The brain then interprets the two separate objects as being the same. And so you think that the satellite suddenly changed direction, or shot off somewhere.

Magicians rely upon the same eye and brain miscoordination in order to create their illusions.

I saw that myself

That was no Satelite or Shooting Star !!

I shudder to think of what is actually was

But I am missing a few Sheep