Car radiator issue!!!?

Hi. I bought a car last year. Which had a bad heating problem.  There was air trapped in the system. That all sorted now. But for some reason my radiator fan is always on. Whether it's cold or warm. The engine doesnt overheat at all... even if I drive for hours. But also it does take a long time the feel any heat from inside the car...

Could this be a thermostat problem. If not.. any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Ford fiesta finesse 2003. 1.3 litre petrol 

Might be a stuck fan relay switch

• M.

Not sure what senses the temperature for the fan operation.

If it's a temperature controlled switch, the contacts may be welded.

If it's a sensor and the ECM, either the ECM controlled fan relay contacts are welded, or the sensor failed or wiring is disconnected and the ECM thinks the sensor is reading infinite hot so it turned the fan relay on.

You need to study the electrical diagram for your fan circuit. I don't have one. And somehow I think that you have a British Ford.

"bad heating problem" is cryptic.

Do you mean overheating?

Or no heating inside the car?

"Bad" and "problem" are redundant.

The fan being on even when the engine is cold CANNOT be caused by a faulty thermostat. If anything, that would cause it to take LONGER to heat up the engine if stuck open.

• don r

Use a non contact IR thermometer to check the temperature of the radiator and the engine block. Check the heat ducts inside the car for proper operation.

What does gauge read, if U have one? Should read normally about 1/2. 3/4 should start fan.

No thermo won't affect fan. It will make for very slow warmup, car will be undertemp.

Fan controlled by wiring, fuse, relay, a sensor atop the manifold or in the thermo housing. Try disconnecting sensor--Off? New sensor.

If still on, try pulling relay. Off? Had some wiring error. It's a used car, you did not indicate whom has worked-on it, anything can happen. My old Chevy's fan Never came on. It missed factory recall--no power from battery bus to relay power. Jumped w/piece of brass and solder.

Replace the thermostat. The radiator fans run constantly when the ac is turned on or if the climate control is set to the defrost/floor position.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Anon1 month agoReport

Thermostat out will NOT turn on cooling fan. In fact, replacing it with stuck on Should. AC on will, yes. I suspect wiring problem or shorted sender.

• bill b

If your temp gauge goes up to about half way and stays there then your thermostat is fine.

• Jay P

The thermostat doesn't control the engine fan.

If the engine fan is always on, there is some reason why it's on. Either it was installed improperly or the vehicle thinks it is overheating or that the A/C is on.