How Do I Fix a Clogged Bathtub and Sink Drain?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Before you start on anything complex or expensive, try the salt and hot water treatment first.

Pour a cup of ordinary kitchen salt down the drain. Follow it with a quart of boiling water. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then pour a couple of quarts of hot water down the drain.

Often this is all that's necessary, as the salt and very hot water dissolve solidified soapy scum, allowing the hair that was clogging the drain to be flushed away easily.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

How do i FIX a clogged bath tub and sink drain ?

a metal clothes hanger

undo straighten

make a small hook at end with a pliers

start digging

Kind of like the ancient Egyptians did

to remove the brain from the skull

during the mummification process

• 4 weeks ago

there's a clog in the drain line going to the sewer. while homeowner can try to manually snake it out, when both are stopping up, the problem likely required a power snake used from the roof vent -- meaning, call a plumber and tell them what the problem is

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The bathtub drain is probably a soap and hair clog. Go to the hardware store and pick up a Zip-It and run that down there a few times. NOTE: what comes up will be gross. Then again it's just hair and soap, so get over it.

Sink drain, get under the sink and place a bowl under where the U-bend is. Then remove the U-bend, rinse it out (in a different sink, of course) and reach up into the tailpiece coming down from the sink. You may need to remove the stopper mechanism to do this properly. There's like a lot of bio goo that has accumulated on the walls of the pipe, slowing things down.

NOTE: you might want to get some rubber gloves to do these jobs, but you can absolutely do them yourself. They're easy to do and quick.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Well a sink is easy enough, just I'm screw the drain pipe below the sink and clean it out

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Call a Plumber.

make a mistake and it will cost much more.

Acid Cleaner's (like Drano) cost me over 200$ extra because they don't clean Every Blockage, only minor and specific blockages.

A Plumber can snake the lines, and clear the Roof Vent if it is clogged.

• Drano®?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.