Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceOther - Business & Finance · 1 month ago

I think I've asked this before, but is it possible that a company wouldn't fire an employee because they feel bad for them?

Or is that a really low chance and would probably never happen? It's just that my whole life people have always said things like "don't be mean to him (me)". Also, I remember in college a girl would always want to do work for me and acted like it didn't bother her at all.

• RICK

Possible but not very probable

Unless you are super valuable to the company is would seriosly doubt it

No one is irreplacabled

A person might feel bad for you and keep you on...a company has no feelings...

• Judy

It happens. not real often though.

• Judith

It's possible but I don't think that would apply in your case.

I am an example of a person who should have quit at least a year before I did. I had bipolar disorder and it was very bad my final year of work. Most employers would probably have fired me; I would be interviewing someone and start crying or, in one instance, I was in the middle of a sentence and couldn't remember what to say.

I was a claims rep for Social Security for 32 years and was, for most of them, a very valuable employee. I trained 4 claims rep classes each lasting 3 months long and 3 data review technician classes. I did lots of in-office training when SS had to implement new laws passed by Congress or we had new procedures. I specialized in disability claims for 8 years and was a speaker at 3 disability seminars which were attended by social workers from the 6 counties my office serviced. I mentored many new claims reps - mentoring was one year long. Except for when I trained the claims rep and technician classes, I did those extra assignments while maintaining my caseload and interviewing the public. I volunteered for extra projects often and, in the old days when I could actually catch up at work, I volunteered to work cases other claims reps didn't get to.

I think it was because of my past service that my supervisor didn't initiate proceedings to fire me. I filed for disability and was immediately approved.

So it would depend upon your VALUE to the company you worked for as well as the SKILLS needed for the job. Many jobs require none or little skill and people are easily replaced. Another factor might be how many years you've worked there.

If you can't do the job then they won't keep you no matter if they feel sorry for you or not. Why don't you just do your job? Don't do things which would make others feel sorry for you. Save talking to coworkers for lunches and breaks.

• Casey Y
      1 month agoReport

You answer everything very well and accurately here Judith...wonder why you are disabled...

Companies aren't people and they don't have feelings about actual people. Companies care only about making more money. You sound like you need to see a psychiatrist.

It’s possible but also they’re probably under pressure from their superiors to follow the rules so you never know what could happen. Make sure to apologize if you haven’t already.