What's the best way to dye a 100% polyester dress lining to be a dark color?

I decided to buy a very light mint colored dress from a thrift store for my sister's wedding that's in a few months, but it was almost white so I used Rit all-purpose dye (with 1 cup of salt and 1 cup of white vinegar, dyed for about 45mins in hot water) in eggplant, then used Rit Dyemore for synthetic fabrics in midnight blue (in a huge pot on the stove at near boiling for about 45mins) get it to a dark indigo color. I followed the directions for both dyeing methods.

The lace overlay is 60% cotton and 40% polyester and dyed absolutely beautifully, but the 100% polyester dress lining is a really light blue color. The lace around the neckline, which I assumed would be the same material as the rest of the lace part of the dress, also dyed the same light color as the lining (so I assume that is also 100% polyester).

Will a 100% polyester lining even dye to be that dark? I've dyed fabrics before, but never a dress like this. I expected the lining to come out a little bit lighter than the lace since cotton does dye a lot easier than polyester. I don't think it looks too bad right now (except for the neckline lol), but I'd like to try and get the collar and lining to dye as dark as possible.

Photo is what the dress looked like before and what it looks like now

You could try buying iDye Poly at Joanns or online and overdye the entire dress.

Use more dye than is asked for, and process it longer than required.

But you do this at your own risk, you still may not like the way the dye job turns out.

iDye Poly has to be used at a very hot temperature, as well, and may shrink the cotton.

https://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye-poly

Short answer: You DON'T dye polyester.

• Pat

Polyester is plastic.

It's made from oil.

It doesn't absorb the dye properly.

Use it as is or give up.

Sounds as though you have a lot of experience...far more than anyone answering questions about personal finance...

Good Luck.

I don’t know the best way to dye it but it looks nice, you could definitely get away with the neckline being lighter I think everyone would just assume it’s meant to be lighter