mayona
mayona asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 8 months ago

Wont it be good if YA put a filter to screen out repetitive questions or wrongly worded and too generalized questions?

• .

The repetitive questions would have to be worded exactly the same for the spam filter to catch them (and most of the repetitive trolls know how to make subtle changes to avoid something like that). Some spam/nonsense answers do get filtered out, but not all.

Wrongly worded or too general would likely end up with legit/quality questions filtered out too. Not to mention, there are a lot of users who come here and post with poor grammar or spelling because English is not their primary language. They shouldn't be penalized from posting for that reason (and the online translation programs are not always very accurate).

So, in short no. While repeat/spam questions should go away, if enough users would report them they will get removed. The site has low enough activity as it is without setting the filters to possibly catch legit posts among the nonsense.

It most certainly would be a good idea, and I see no reason why this can't be accomplished.

• Daniel

Nope Yahoo is Having a Hard time keeping up with what they got Already I dont think they should make any more changes to the Site

Its already Falling Apart so many Bugs and Glitch's I think if they Added Stuff it would make it worse

If you could write such a filter, you would be a genius. It just can not be done. There are too many variables. With some few questions it is possible, for example "Am I pretty?".

• LAN

Wouldn't work. It would be easier to just have a couple of moderators instead of unreliable programing.

When I ask a question, then delete it because I want to reword it, then ask it right away again- slightly revised- it won't post. I have to keep moving it around to different categories to get it to appear. That is a sort of filter, like what you're talking about.

• Zirp

repetitive, yes, sort of. posting "how many woodchucks could a woodchuck chuck?" should not be possible.

Then again "why was this reported?" should not be blocked unless there's nothing in the details.

"wrongly worded or too generalised"??? I don't believe a computer could determine such things

• Dze

they just need a liberal filter to screen all the lib filth out ...

Isn't "wouldn't it be good" a very general question? Perhaps too generalized?

• mayona

Commenting is your right but it was just a poll servay type question.

• Sandy

who are you or YA to say what words a person uses to ask a question? that's an infringement of free speech.