Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Why do men get married?

What’s in it for them?

women wants to get married with someone so man do it 2, marriage = confirms loyalty

The stupidity of tradition. There is NOTHING in it for men these days. You'll have more sex single. You can't get hit with alimony single. You get fixed and you can't get hit with child support either.

In the olden days, marriage was mainly a business deal. For example, a farmer might trade some grain and livestock for a woman who would bear him some children, and help with the farm work. So the woman was basically a piece of property.

These days, no one is a subsistence farmer anymore, so now it's done for emotional reasons. It's not so much that the woman is the man's property, but now it's equally the man is the woman's property. The woman gets a lot of out of the initial wedding ceremony, such as gifts, an expensive party, etc.

The man pretty much gets a place to occasionally park his dick, but not always, and not as much as he wants to. The wedding gifts are mainly aimed at the woman, so men don't benefit much from that. So yeah, these days, it's mainly of some advantage for women, but not so much for men.

lambs to slaughter mostly

Same things as for women; a second income, a life partner, the best way to raise children, someone to look after you in old age. The motivations for marriage aren't specifically a gendered thing (especially not now that women earn as much as men).

We are social creatures and many people (both men and women) desire a companion in this life.

Apparently, you're not old enough to understand.

Of course, some people prefer to be single. Not everyone is the same.

To build a family

• Kelly

Why wouldn't they?

Marriage laws are the same for men, that they are for women.

Most men I see worried about losing half their assets, don't actually have any (or at least not much) to lose. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing. When my brother makes that complaint, I ask if he's worried about losing half his debt (since debt is also an asset).

My first husband, I made more than he did (I still do). When we divorced I assumed the marital debt (which there really wasn't a whole lot) and I kept the house because well... it was mine. I did buy it while we were married but he waived any rights to it. Sure I got child support, but it really didn't cover half of their expenses and really I didn't need it. While we're talking about child support, child support isn't paying the other parent... it's reimbursing your share of the kids' expenses that the custodial parent has already provided for them. By the time I received the child support for them, I already paid child care, bought them clothes, school supplies, paid medical needs/copays, I paid their field trips, I fed them, paid for scouts & sports and everything else they needed. They wanted something in the scholastic book fair, I paid it. My ex never complained about providing for his kids. He never petitioned to have child support lowered and I never petitioned to have it raised.

My current husband makes a lot more than I do and has a lot more in assets. I'm not broke, he just has more. We have a prenup that benefits both of us (which was my idea). He's not a misogynist and he treats me very much as his equal.

• geezer

I suppose most men get married because they fall in love with someone and want to spend the rest of their lives with them.

I just knew this would be asked by someone hiding behind the blue badge of shame

*sigh*