Find the force weight of a 100 newton dog?

I don’t understand and I can’t find anybody who has answered this question and could show their work to explain it. If you could help that would be great, thanks!

100 N

"Weight" is a kind of force: it's the force gravity exerts on a mass.

The unit of force is the Newton (symbol "N")

If your dog weighs 100 N, his weight is 100 N!

Some people still mix up force (N) and mass (g, kg) units. It's not a big deal if you compare only things on planet Earth.

If your dog weighs 100 N on Earth, that means his mass is 10.2 kg (like a cocker spaniel).

If your teacher mentioned another planet, the weight of the same mass might be different, but on Earth, it's 100 N.

The weight is 100 newtons, but maybe they want it converted to pounds-force? That would be around 22.5 lbf.

• ob1knob
      1 month agoReport

I don't think a science teacher would expect something like "lbf".
      Pound-force increases the mass vs force popular mix-up

• JOHN

Newton did have a dog named Diamond who knocked over a candle and set fire to 20 years of the great man’s experimental notes. That you can’t find anyone who can answer your question may be due to the fact that historians can’t in turn find any record of Diamond’s “force weight”. Newton did have other dogs but nothing has been recorded about them, probably because none of them had the sense of humour to sabotage his work. BTW, I have a theory that it was Diamond who climbed up a tree and dropped the apple on Newton’s head. Your teacher sounds like a regular idiot. Just humour him – that’s the way to handle idiots in positions of authority. (And humour him doesn’t mean to tell him jokes!).

the weight is 100 N

the force the dog exerts on the ground is 100 N

"force weight" is not a term commonly seen, what exactly do you mean by it ?

• billrussell42
      1 month agoReport

"he speaks English" which implies English is not his native language. Which explains his awkward use of words. I think he means "weight" and the answer is 100 N.