Regarding the modern world where the language of English is dominant.?

I feel uncomfortable in situations where English is essential in the modern world. My country is not an English-speaking country colony, but I feel like my country is an English-speaking country colony. Even if I talk to the people around me about that, they respond as if it were a matter of course. Even my parents say something similar to my question. I feel as if they were brainwashed. Honestly, I feel scared.

I speak 3 languages ​​including my native language. Two of them are my native languages, one self-taught and my current level is C2. In my country, few people can speak foreign languages. General courses such as mathematics, physics, and chemistry are well done, but I failed the university entrance exam because I couldn't speak English. Of course, this is a cry, so don't ask for approval. However, because of that, I am currently studying mainly in English to pass the university I hope for next year. 

It is my responsibility not to meet the demands of the university, so I don't want to comment on that point, but I would like to know what you think about this situation.

* Because GOOGLE machine translation is used, mistranslations may be seen occasionally.

I am not sure i understand your question. English language is not essential in the modern world. Very few Japanese people speak any English at all, yet they are at the forefront of modernity and innovation. You don't need to speak English to live in Germany, France, or any other non-English speaking country. You don't need to speak English to innovate. You may need to speak English if you want to communicate with people from other countries, but that depends on the country.

• Yuuji3 weeks agoReport

I wrote complicatedly. In short, I could hardly write and read English. And the only foreign language that can be used in Japanese university entrance examinations was English.

• Zirp

You fail to ask a question here.

International contacts are a necessity, and so is an international language. For people who know that English isn't the best choice, options are few, but working for Esperanto is one of them

>It probably just gets worse and worse through the generations.

Certainly, even if I look at the situation in recent years, it seems only to be getting worse.

• Blearg

England was one of the most active colonial powers and one of the most horrific in their reinforcement of their language over native languages. There are many people and cultures around the world that have lost their languages and practices because of colonial violence. It's partly because of this that english is so dominant as a world language.

I wish you did not have to learn English to pass exams. I think it is unfair. At the same time, I can understand why that pattern is there, because many people around the world don't even know how to say things in their native language anymore, only in english.

I had a teacher who was from Russia but would think in french when she cooked because she learned french and cooking at the same part of her life. Since many people study in English or while learning english, it's probably easier for them to express ideas they learned in English. It probably just gets worse and worse through the generations.