Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 month ago

How did people survive in the 1970's without the internet, HD TV, Netflix, craft beer, legal marijuana, vaping, cell phones & ATM cards?

Did a lot of people give up on life and commit suicide?

Did people sit around and talk about how miserable and boring their life was?

22 Answers

Relevance
  • xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

Life was anything but miserable and boring in the 1970s. There was plenty of pot, and other drugs, we partied, talked to each other and had sex.

• 1 month ago

Everything you mentioned makes us lazy! So people then had fun , ACTUALLY KNEW FRIENDS, today you have internet friends you don't even know, people are lazier , fatter, etc. someone who is born blind doesn't miss sight like someone who goes blind. The same for those who grew up not experiencing those things compared to you imagining them taken away from you

• 1 month ago

In the 1970s people were "thinner & healthier" than most people today are. Roller rinks were all the rage. There were no "cyber bullies", and every man "used the men's room" instead of the ladies' room.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Um, I survived without this stuff before 2008 and things were way better.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • even though i was raised in japan, i moved to america. but anyway to answer the question is that if you never know something is going to exist, then you wont know a difference. its not like an average person would be depressed every day and trying to kill themselves, i did know a girl who did a copycat suicide after Hideto Matsumoto (a Japanese singer who killed himself with a towel tied around his neck to a doorknob) but she wasnt raised in the 1970s, it was because she was stressed (and she was born in 1996) but anyway i dont think that living in the 1970s could be bad unless you know how the future is since you don't know any different

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They had bigger brains than you

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That was the heyday of the modern sitcom so people spent a lot of time with the boob tube.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Stress was lower so suicide rate was lower. There was far more people-to-people contact. Life was simpler. People read books. High school graduates were smarter in general as education was stronger. Marijuana was readily available to those that wanted it, but was lower in THC. Internet gives us more information and communication. Life is mostly faster today, but faster is not better necessarily. The economic gains in the USA since the 1970's has gone to the top 20% of wealth and earners. January 1980 minimum wage of $3.10 plus consumer price index equals $10.25, and not $7.25. Lower wage jobs lived better in the 60's to 80's. Wealth was spread out much more evenly than today. Electronics has advanced so today there are fancier toys and cell phones common.

• 1 month ago

Frankly, it was easier then.  You could go someplace without being hassled by constant phone calls.  TV was free, so Netflix wasn't needed.  Marijuana wasn't legal, but it was readily available anyway.  People who didn't have credit cards could use cash.  And in fact, credit cards were almost the same as ATM cards, if you paid off the balance every month.  

• 1 month ago

i had more fun back then cause i had more people to hang out it cause they werent so much into the net and phone those day

• 1 month ago

I lived during this era, and it was SO horrid!!!

I considered suicide at least twice a week, and I almost joined the French Foreign Legion.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.