Nadia asked in SportsMartial Arts · 8 months ago

If you had four arms, would it be better to use four one-handed swords or two two-handed swords?

I was a drama major for a while in college.  I took a class in 'stage combat', taught by an expert in the history of weapons.  I was lousy at it, but I learned a lot about the history of weapons!  AND the difference between 'fencing' and actually fighting to the death.

In the time of Romeo and Juliet, men didn't duel with swords alone, but with a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other!  You know how in movie swordfights, the two fighters will sometimes stop with their swords against each other, up close against each other?  Then they push off to get some distance so they can swing them again?  In a sword-and-dagger duel, this would be a chance to come around from behind with the left hand with the dagger in it.  Swords alone were only good at a certain distance!  If you're closer than that, they're useless.

So if I had four arms, I think I'd have two holding a two-handed sword (which was used throughout history, BTW) and the other two hands holding daggers!

4 swords, one for each arm. sword and dagger- 2 main schools Europe, 'spanish' has dagger pointing forward, 'Irish' has dagger pointing down. Couple of Asian schools with long sword and short sword, long sword and dagger, double short swords, chopping saber and thrusting dagger and Sai has pointed but no sharp edge 2, sometimes 3 stickers. 2 handed Katana, one handed sai and a wakisashi in other hand for poke, block, chop, slash

• Steel

1 three-armed sword and a single shield, or keep the other hand free for drinking water from a sports-bottle, or checking your cell phone, or the like.

• Lv 4

good answer :)

• Murzy

four swords would give you better blocking power

• Joe

It would depend on my adversary.  Absent any foreknowledge:

I'd go with two on one side, and one on the other.  I'd have both speed, and bone-crushing power.