In the song I Shot The Sheriff by Bob Marley why did they think he shot the deputy?

In the song he is being accused of shooting the deputy and he denies this but he does not deny shooting the sheriff. In the beginning of the song he says they are trying to bring him in guilty of killing a deputy. Then later in the song he says freedom came his way one day and as he was leaving town he saw Sheriff John Brown aiming to shoot him down. So in self defense he shoots the sheriff. So my theory is that he was wrongfully accused of shooting the deputy, jailed and later released. And then later as he is leaving town the sheriff tries to shoot him so he kills the sheriff in self defense. But what do you think? Do you think the deputy had been killed previously or that both the sheriff and deputy were killed during the same incident? I know it's just a song but it tells a story and I think its fun to pick these things apart some times

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Best answer

i've thought about this before and considered both of the theories you put forward as well as a third. perhaps deputy john brown misrepresented himself as a sheriff during the incident. but i think it is probably that he was originally in jail for shooting the deputy, escaped or was released and shot the sheriff.

• Mithter T-Reckth
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

The thought that John Brown was actually a deputy instead of a sheriff did cross my mind since deputies often drive a car marked "sheriff." I guess great minds think alike

• mars
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Bob may have explained the meaning. It sounds like an old "Rocksteady" theme.

• 1 month ago

because he was black

• 1 month ago

Someone mentioned that Brown was a reference to Cocaine. So, the song is probably a pun that means that a guy was shooting up on Cocaine.

• Mithter T-Reckth
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

That is an interesting take, but if you listen to the lyrics of the song it doesn't appear to be a metaphor. It appears that he is really talking about shooting the sheriff because the sheriff was trying to shoot him

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Per Marley, the songwriter, the sheriff is on the hunt for the main character and the deputy ends up dead for other reasons.

• Mithter T-Reckth
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Cool. Where did you find this information? Was there an interview or something?

• 1 month ago

I think you wasted a whole lot of time over some song lyrics about a figment of Bob Marley's imagination.

• Mithter T-Reckth
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

I didn't really waste much time. I just thought about it while listening to the song. Also I enjoy pondering things like this. Time enjoyed is time not wasted

• 1 month ago

The deputy was sleeping with his wife.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

songs are like art some is simple some some is a picture you see in your own individual way and its doing exactly what he wanted after all he was an artist

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.