what are the advantages of joining the us navy as a sailor and is it dangerous?

I want to know if a career in the navy will be good for me can they take of you and will the pay be good enough

can they take care of you

• Mike W

You could learn a skill, become a leader, and learn self discipline. Yes, it's dangerous, most things worth doing can be dangerous.

• Mrsjvb

The only one who can answer that is you..and that depends on your attitude and financial habits

You don't want to go down in the sea. The ocean is not your friend.

The Navy schools are some of the best in the USA for a lot of trades. There are also a lot of jobs in the navy that don't cross over very well.

As for a career (a career in the military is considered a "lifer" completing 20 to 30 years of service) and if it is good for you depends on your goals in life. Of course it also depends on if there is a war or not.

The navy is tough duty even in peace time. Underway you have to work a eight hour day and stand a watch. Watches are determined by how secure the waters are the ship is in. I don't even remember the differences or how many different types there are. I do know "Port and Starboard" situations can exist as well as constantly being on battle stations for days on end (during war time).

Military pay is good but not great! It all depends on your desires. Keep your needs simple and it is more then enough. After all room and board is paid for, there is a clothing allowance and many services while on board a ship are either free or so cheap every one can afford them. That is provided they don't gamble it away or drink it up in port.