How likely is the chance of getting stomach cancer at 20?

I am 19 years old male (about to be 20 this month) and I have been having these mild stomach pains that have been on and off for about 7 months now. It is exactly in the center just below the rib cage's end. The first time it happened it lasted for 4 days and went away on its own then after about 2 months it happened again and me being a paranoid started to have all sorts of negative thoughts about it being cancer. I went to the doctor and she said it probably must just be acidity and wrote me some meds and said if it still persists we can go for a scan. However after I took the meds it went away but not immediately. Now after another 3 months I am feeling the same exact pain and I dont know what to do. I am so worried it might come out to be something serious (cancer is the main concern) and my stupid brain wont stop having negative thoughts like for example ive got kidney stones and i keep worrying what if those were not even stones but are tumours that spread from the stomach sincr they have only been seen through ultrasound. I could really use an advice here.

• Edna

It's probably some form of acid reflux; or, if it's in the center below your rib cage and slightly to the right, it could be your gall bladder. Whatever it is, it's NOT cancer.

If it was cancer, the pain wouldn't "come and go" over several months, as yours has been. After this length of time, you would probably be hurting ALL the time.

Kidney stones and gall stones are not cancerous.

To begin with GET mind  right , IF you  have   Kidney stones  You   need   to  educate  yourself   about them    from  drinking  Much more water  every day  to other options to  Limited   any more I  understand  THE idea of  Fearfulness and  how Hypochondria can  get into someones head  BUT   at the  same  time  IF  what  your  feeling were   something as  serious as  Cancer  Negative  Thoughts   can  become  detrimental  to your  Overall health .  Is  the  woman  your  speaking of  a  primary  care   doctor (family)  or a  Gastro  Specialist?    Do you   eat  a  LOT  of  "spicier "  food   some  people /cultures/Individuals Like  it   Obviously   some   Tex mex  or  Thai  and   other   cultures   use   Various chilis  etc  are you  one who  eats   those  sorts of things   regularly ?   its  Possible that  the spicy   and  your  "eating Habits"   find you   eating  later in the   day ?  Like  supper (dinner)   Later   closer to  bed time?    the acid   fighting the  spicy hot   might  be  causing the  "reflux"   to happen   thats  when acid   regurgitates  up  The  esophagus  ( the lower   part   just above  the   stomach  The  acid   can cause  burns  or  ulcers  since   the stomach has a special  Lining   this  would  explain  the Pain Laying down (Peptic  Ulcer)   it  could also  be  a "stomach  ulcer"  if  Your  the type of  person  who  is generally  speaking a  worrier  about things    anxiety  or  Let  things   get into your  head.....  at  your  age  I suspect  whatever the  doc  Gave you as meds maybe    were'nt    followed  through with?   or  did you   Take  em all and  just  blow her  off ?  ( at least   till  you  realized it was coming back,,,)   Believe  me  some folks  never   see a  doctor  and  thats  great  but   there are  Loads  of  children and  Young  adults    who  have   LIFE LONG  issues   until   we  are  feeling something  we think is  Serious   we  tend to Blow it off  as Too much of a hassle  ALL I mean is  GET  back in to see her OR another  Primary care  (if you have  problems  dont like the way she is treating you  etc  or   wont  refer  you to a gastroenterologist  (the  deal with  mouth to  the other end)   so....   one other  possible is  maybe   a hernia    if  Not  the  abdominal wall/groin  (you said rib cage)  Maybe  of   the  Diaphragm   which  separates  the   bottom  thorax (chest ) and  the stomach I would kind of  think  if your  had an injury at one  point  lifting or moving something   kind of  pop  Ugh  hmmm   you  take a hot bath  end up feeling better the a while later It says  Hey  remember me?  think positive  remember   Your  your  own BEST Health Advocate  if you  never  go back to this doctor  face it  Its not going to Hurt them......  so You  have to walk in the office  and  say hey  Doc  3  minutes  days  months   years   went by and  IT worked great  for  a while   until  Two  days ago   so here I am again  same  just like i told you  before   BUT  I was  thinking could it  be 1, 2 , 3 ?   and  You   kind of   open they're  eyes   a little  more and   they often become  interested  in your  situation Hope   thats not  Too  confusing. or long  >>> Take  it  serious  BUT  dont  let it  eat you  up  IF this  doctor cant  find  one who can ...    

• LAN

The odds are better than those of you activating enough brain cells to do the only thing that can actually tell if your problem is anything other than being a childish hypochondriac and actually seeing a doctor. Grow up and stop being an idiot. If you can't stop that then at least stop advertising it so completely.

Remote. It has all the symptoms of reflux and that's what your dr thought. You may have to be on meds long term. In the meantime, no carbonated drinks, less caffeine, less spices and less fatty food. No eating after 8. Lose weight if you need to.

• kelvin

you do not have stomach cancer

A third vote for 1) it's not stomach cancer, 2) see the doctor, and 3) track and modify your diet.

I bet it's dietary. Until your doctor's appointment, keep a food journal. On the left page, write what you ate, how much, and what time. On the right page, note any discomfort or other digestive symptoms and what time. Do it every day, no skipping, no judgment. Often a food journal reveals a sensitivity or other habit that's pretty obvious when you just look at the data.

• Pippin

Perhaps, instead of asking 50 times for a diagnosis here, your time would be better spent on phone setting up an appointment with your doctor.

But you still don't have stomach cancer.

You don't have stomach cancer.....have you moderated your diet at all? Maybe you're eating something that you're not tolerating. Usually it's things like milk, gluten, starches, etc. I would look into that next if I were you.