Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 2 months ago

Why is my voice so bloody low when im a girl?

Its embarrassing, when i sing i cant get most of the higher notes either, ive taken a test on this app and it said my voice sounded masculine, ouch

I love the sound of low voices on women. They sound so rich and beautiful with a touch of femininity added as well. 

I had to chuckle when I read your question as I have the same problem.  I can never join in the hymn singing in church as my voice sounds as if it is coming from my boots.  When I answer the phone I am asked if I am the man of the house.   My husband likes my voice though so I am not bothered about it.

Maybe you were born with a wider throat than most other girls the reason why men tend to have lower voices because it's been proven scientifically that they have wider throats than women

Are you black if you are then a crude masculine voice is expected

A low female voice is classified as contralto. There's nothing wrong with your voice. There have been many professional contraltos.

I taught Voice and Choir in the schools of NY for almost 30 years. SIL is a retired operas singer - NY and Italy. FOUR music teachers in this family. The rarest vocal type is the contralto - a low female voice with an incredible richness - it is like hearing dark chocolate, or espresso. My DIL is a soprano - nice voice, smart - but there are LOTS of sopranos. Lots. Our son is a very deep basso - gets called for Russian choral literature jobs, and Little Shop of Horrors and gospel super-low things. (3-leger line Ab - full voice - if you know where that is . . . yet he talks all day teaching, in a lighter, NOT Mr. Carson from Downton Abbey voice, to protect his vocal cords. Then he sings - people fall over . . .) So - you might just be ONE of those rare contraltos. Unless you take a few lessons with a QUALIFIED voice teacher, you will never know. You chorus teacher might not know what to do with you - because chorus music for school is written for "average" range singers. The app you used was designed for *average* singers, and your low notes tricked the app into thinking you were male. (I want a scale that will LIE, and tell me I lost 50 pounds . . ) Yes, there are very special things written for women of your capabilities - this is NOT a chirpy birdy little-girl voice, is it? Now - other possibility - you just are not using all of your voice - you might be copying screamers and belters, or have in some way limited yourself vocally. Could be you just need a few REAL voice lessons to find out. This obviously bothers you, so ask around, call the BEST teacher you can find ( degrees in vocal music from fine colleges/conservatories, etc.) and see what you find out! My husband taught voice and choir for 33 years, and had ONE - ONLY ONE - real contralto (hello, Jeanette!) in all those years. When students - other voice teachers - and voice JUDGES heard her - they were stunned. Like finding a unicorn, stunned. Make your move, girl - you will not know until you do.

• RockIt

We make the best with what we got. We can't all sing like birds, some of us sing like animals, and its still good, but forget about Witney Houston songs.

• Mamianka

Houston could work. But Mariah Carey whistle tones? Nah - this gal has a whole 'nuther way to go!

You can sing Alto

That's not a bad thing. Personally I think the sexiest female voice of all time belonged to Lauren Bacall. Her voice was low.

• Mamianka

Yes! - but that was also from smoking . . .

I dont know ok....