Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 2 months ago

could a 5'8 dude make it as a heavyweight boxer ?

• 5 days ago

a 5'8" man that weights over 210 lbs will probably be morbidly obese to obese if not completely made of muscle mass. Either way someone of that stature can lose 20-30 lbs of water weight for weigh ins, they would be competing closer to 170 lbs and even then they would be a disadvantage since a lot of 170 lbs fighters are tall. 

I would say anyone can make it as a boxer or a fighter, its the sport of the underdogs and theres always someone willing and able to knock the number one guy from rankings. 

I mean, we haven’t seen successful world champion heavyweights under 5ft 11 in the 21st Century. Mike Tyson was truly a genetic anomaly. I don’t care what anyone says, but it’s impossible to be 5,10 and weigh 108KG+ of pure muscle and be so quick and powerful without a genetic element involved. This is why you hear among many boxing fans that their likely won’t be another Mike Tyson for a very very long time. Unless you have the ability to fight like a Prime Mike Tyson, you will not make it to world championship level as a heavyweight that is under 6ft. 

If they learn the master fighting on the inside and I mean really master fighting on the inside whilst evading a taller boxers reach, then possibly yes.

they'd also need to compensate for short height with surreal speed and power in the punches without packing on too much muscle mass that slows them down.

• Joe

In the olden days it happened a lot. Not anymore. These guys are monsters.

if you have the talent and ability yes.

If you look at the heavyweight class nowadays you will see that it’s dominated by tall boxers. Actually, the average height of the fighters in the division is 6’4 1/2” or 194,3 cm. These are really tall boys. But why is that?

Why is the height so important factor, in the heavyweight class, compared to the lower weight classes? In general, in the heavyweight class, it’s easier for the boxers to make the necessary weight. That’s because there is no limit to that how much a fighter can weight (as long as it’s more than 200 pounds). While in the lower weight classes such as the welterweight, lightweight or featherweight classes it can be much harder. For example, to compete in the welterweight class, a boxer needs to weight no more than 147 pounds.

the shortest heavyweight boxer with some success was approx. 5' 6'' I believe.

• Brian

If one works at it.

Yes most of the strong mexican boxers are short.

Yes I have no idea tbh but you should try