Question for non-Americans: Do you generally understand the English language as spoken by most Americans?

That is, excluding the English dialect spoken by many residents in the southern region of the United States, do you generally understand the English that is spoken by the majority of Americans?

I was born and raised in the United States. As a young child I had difficulty understanding the English spoken by many residents in Texas and in America's southern region, though I eventually learned to understand it

• Katie

Yes - sometimes an accent or the speed someone speaks makes it hard to understand/follow what they are saying (the same applies to those who live in the UK).

• Zirp

yes, Exposure to many thousands of hours of "standard american" movies and TV-series with good subtitles in your native language tends to have that result

Being British I completely understand the mess up the Americans have made of the wonderful English language.

• JASON

Yes, no problem. I can be a bit critical of its usage when rules are broken, but I suppose this is expected.