Atheists, scientists and theists alike are divided about the age of the Earth. Most believe that it is around 6000 years old?

however, some think it may be as old as one hundred thousand years. There are some problems with the later argument...if the Earth was so old then there would be no water and air left and the Earth would be covered with waste and bodies. This seems to be something the so-called 'old Earthers' seem to conveniently forget.

So what is the 'scientific' view on this?

44 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

You have a few facts slightly wrong, Professor.

As a Scientitian in the field of Waterology, I can tell you that the 5000 gallons of water that up the fresh water of our Earth’s oceans are constantly being recycled by the elephants that the Earth rests on. This water is being drawn out via the elephants trunk, and then sized to scrub the giant turtles shell that the elephants stand on. In a magical process known to scientitians as “osmosis” the water which is used to scrub the shell magically becomes clean, and is put back into the oceans by the elephants.

So while I agree that the Earth cannot he more than a few thousand years old, as water is constantly being reconciled it actually won’t run out until the elephants eventually die, which will most probably be some time till next Match.

Attachment image
  • 8 months ago

I was educated I know the earth is about 4.5 billion years old

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Scientist have worked on this many, many years and can say now that earth is at least 4,5 billion years old or a little older.

• 9 months ago

The Bible does not say that the earth is 6000 years old. This is the belief of some who feel that the creative days described in Genesis chapter 1 were 24 hours long. However, the word for "day" referred to 12 hours, 24 hours, and the entire time in which God created the heavens and the earth, according to Genesis chapters 1 and 2.

Instead of trusting in men it is wiser to trust in God our Creator for truth.

• ...Show all comments
    • Roberta B
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

Correct, Paul, so the age of the earth is not mentioned in the inspired scriptures. I believe that too.
      Rayal, OR...consider that I just told you the truth about what the Bible says about creation.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

There are cave paintings older than 6,000 years. Older than 60,000, even.

• 9 months ago

No, only the uninformed or those in denial are divided with scientists, please go troll somewhere else.

• Roberta B
      Lv 6
      9 months agoReport

Even scientists are divided on this issue.

• Brian
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Sounds like good ol' homeskool science there.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

I feel like an old earther on some days. Logical......I’m 189 years old.

• 9 months ago

Most scientists, and people with common sense for that matter, believe the earth is 4 billion years old. The earth is not covered in waste and bodies because bugs eat the waste. Why wouldn't there be any air and water left?

• 9 months ago

Most do not think Earth is but 6,000 years old because most people don't get their view of reality from Bronze Age goat herders.

Opinions have varied widely throughout history. It was not until 1926, when (under the influence of Arthur Holmes, whose name recurs throughout this story) the National Academy of Sciences adopted the radiometric timescale, that we can regard the controversy as finally resolved. Critical to this resolution were improved methods of dating, which incorporated advances in mass spectrometry, sampling and laser heating. The resulting knowledge has led to the current understanding that the earth is 4.55 billion years old.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-sci...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.