Why isn't a foot as long as a foot?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • feet change in length or something

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Because in ancient times, there WERE several different "Standard" "Feet" for measurements. In old Greek temples we see scratched into walls and floors in the work areas, standard "Roman feet" "Corinthian feet", etc. There were several standards for the foot back then and other measurements like "Cubits". The architects decided on what standard they would use and scratch it into the stonework so the workers could calibrate their rulers. ---Even back then it was known that using actual human body parts to measure was NO GOOD for precision building like they did.----But standardized measurement systems HAD been devised, they just weren't used universally---being several REGIONAL systems instead. Obviously, the FOOT was originally based on the length of a man's foot, but kingdoms had to standardize the length by the time precision buildings were being built. So we had several different standards. Construction Workers imported from other areas had to calibrate their rulers to the standard being used---so the marks on the stones determined the FOOT being used on the site.

Why aren't FEET the size of a human foot? The need for subdivisions (inches.--) INCHES were incorporated by using the lengths of common objects of the same size. A Roman Inch was the length of THREE barley seeds laid end to end. AND using 12 inches to a foot---(The ancients liked divisions of 12 as 12 can be divided into halves quarters and thirds, etc). We get the length of a ROMAN FOOT The same size as our own "ruler" "foot" today. Yes, it is bigger than a foot on the body, but, it was the closest size to a body foot, so it was called "A foot"------BTW, SHOE SIZES are still measured in terms of 1/3 of an inch, from the old barley seed measurement of the inch.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

My foot is the same size as King Henry 1, so it works for me, 12 inches exactly.

Hey, it was the old days and they were just trying to gain some standard measurements with what they knew.

Did you know that ALL US Customary measurements are now defined in Metric (since 1893) so that they are not confusing? Yup!

I inch is DEFINED as 2.54 cm etc.,

I teach both systems. Takes 2 hours to learn Metric, takes 2 months to teach 'part' of the US system, very complicated! Wet and dry measures, Troy, etc.

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson loved metric and it's something the US helped standadize and the US adopted it way back then? We DID adopt it for our money, that's why it's decimal.

see link:

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

because it's longer or shorter

Some people's feet ARE 12 inches / 30 cm, but good luck finding someone who has a "lower arm plus hand" of a yard

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

Because we do not know how high is high and if you dig a hole is it really a hole and not just a dent in the ground.. How do you know it was really a virgin without a close examination before touching it..If it goes up does it really have to come back down,,, Science has proven that to be a lie..

• 8 months ago

The reason why a foot isn't as long as a foot:

1 mile = 5280 feet (63,360 inches)

1 foot = (9.2 to 11) inches

1 mile = (6890 to 5760) feet

• 8 months ago

because feet are different sizes

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

the same reason that inflammable compounds ignite easily

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

My feet are actually longer than a foot. I wear a size 16 shoe and my feet are about 13 inches long.

• 8 months ago

For the same reason "abbreviation" is a long word.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.