Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 months ago

Has a dog literally starved to death after its owner died?

I'm not sure if it's an urban legend or if it has happened before.

The closest I've ever heard is my friend's uncle died of a heart attack last year. It happened right in front of his German Shepherd. His dog witnessed it.

The dog wouldn't eat the whole day. Or it wonders on the cemetery, making sad sounds. If it wasn't for others feeding it, it would have starved to death.

The dog hasn't been the same ever since. According to my friend, it seems depressed and not very active.

No, not unless locked up with dead owner & it had no ability to get to any food. Dogs do not " WONDER" or WANDER cemeteries, in this day & age. That is something in a book & movie called, "Gray Friars Bobby" (time period 1912). Loose or roaming dogs are ILLEGAL and are picked up by various animal control units.

No. Some dogs have been known to eat their dead owners when they're absolutely sure they're dead.

Wonders on the cemetery? Wonders about what?

My husband died in the hospital after a 3 week stay, much of which time he was in a coma. Two days before he died I was holding his hand and he said (in the presence of a nurse), "X," the name of his dog, "Take care of X." He never spoke again. I was in the hospital holding his hand when he died. After I pulled myself together and left I stopped in the hallway and found a message on my cell phone from my sister who was watching our dogs. His dog had started howling within 15 minutes of my husband dying. Somehow she knew.

I woke up 3 months later to find his dog on the floor, next to the bed, dead. Necropsy said "undiagnosed heart disease." I always felt that she died of a broken heart.

Yes, it happens often. At least that's what my mom said about her grandparent's dog.

Instinct exists in all species and eventually it will take over. Most dogs will even eat their owners corpse if the corpse isn't found early enough. Cats on the other hand wouldn't think twice... If food isn't laid out for them.. they'll find their own food fairly soon afterwards. If the dog has somebody trying to feed it it should eventually start to eat..