Tay asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

How long do y all let your dogs lay in the sun?

• "How long do y all let your dogs lay in the sun?"

I don't. Dogs don't LAY.

Birds LAY eggs. People LAY or SET the table

Dogs and people LIE in the sun, LIE on their bed, LIE on the floor, LIE on the grass or beach.

🔹 If my dogs are in their pens they can LIE in the sun, or each can LIE in the shade of its personal sleeping box.

🔸 If my dogs are out of their pens they can explore the 4 "levels" on my steep hillside, checking on what the neighbours lower down or across the narrow valley are doing. Or they can choose whether to LIE in the sun or LIE in the shade of the treeline or in the shade of my house - or they can go into the shaded part of their pen (half the length of each pen is roofed so that dogs don't have to get wet on rainy days). On nice days I leave the front door open so they can come into the house and lie on the floor in my den or sit hopefully on the kitchen lino when I make myself a cuppa - I keep some tiny kibbles there for dogs that pointedly demonstrate that they are being a GOOD boy or a GOOD girl.

But I managed to be born to parents who lived in a temperate climate. None of the places I lived in as boy or a young man had snow. But the place my parents moved to in 1960 had snow on Boxing Day (26 December - which is SUMMER in my nation), so I practised some driving in snow in my wee Morris Minor convertible. The first year (1976) I was in my present city the road over the ridge between my city and the one about 20km/13 miles away was blocked by snow for one day. Since then we have only twice had snow fall on my the city. The first one had melted overnight. The secoind lasted 3 days in shady places.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

My basset hound puppy has never seen the sun because he's blind, deaf and retarded.

Since my dogs are outside dog, that is up to them.

I have had to bring mine in from the sun on many occasions - clearly they have no sense, no feeling ..... the dark coated of mine felt really hot to the touch compared to the lemon/white one or the more open tricolours and for sure, I'd not let them lie out there for very long at all before bringing them in.

I've seen two cases of heat stroke, both in dark coated hounds (not mine) and believe me, it's not a good thing to see. One, who took off when my neighbour refused to alter her exercise time to fit the weather, and was later found collapsed in a ditch by a passing rider. She got him home but despite both our efforts to cool him down, he went into a permanent fit and couldn't be saved, even by his vet who we took him to fast. He was a young dog too. So sad.

I'd not just leave mine outside in the full sun on a hot day assuming they'll move into shade or come in.

• Amber

Depends on how hot it is.

Depends on what shade.

And my dog isn't stupid. I never shut her outside so she can come into the cool when she feels too hot. But in high heat I let her out just to pee.

As long as they want, but they have shade if they want it.

I'all allow them access to the house through a doggie door

As long as she wants... She doesn't really lay down though. She will run the perimeter of the yard all day