Christians, why should we rejoice during trials & hardships? What's there to be happy abt times of suffering & difficulties? I dont get it.?

We already feel miserable so how and why should we still be thankfully to God? Pls help me understand

34 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

Jesus said:

10 “Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them.

11 “Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake. 12 Rejoice and be overjoyed, since your reward is great in the heavens, for in that way they persecuted the prophets prior to you.

16 Likewise, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your fine works and give glory to your Father who is in the heavens.

Matthew 5:10-16

So If the answer is in the Bible, and it reveals God's current plan and how it is succeeding, the answer is a valid and legitimate reason to rejoice and have peace during a time of suffering. That is a powerful tool which those without faith cannot have, We do what we can, then let God handle the rest. This is a much better solution than to worry and fret over the persecution, or pain and suffering that happens you because you are trying to put God's righteousness first.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

Because you have a greater hope than this world and its troubles. Look forward to the Blessed Hope of the return of Jesus or going to be with Jesus. As My Savior, the Lord Jesus gave me eternal life. I rejoice knowing better things are coming.

• 8 months ago

Well the reason we rejoice in sufferings is because God said so. He said "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ concerning you. That's in 1 Thessalonians I am pretty certain - yes - it's 1 Thessalonians 5:18

You see, Jesus suffered and died for us, so being Christians means that when things happen to us in this world which is inevitable in everyone's life - we can LOOK for the positive in the situation, and thank God for that.

Yes we still grieve when we lose a family member in death (especially in tragedy not just natural deaths from natural causes) we grieve when we lose our parents, grand parents even though that could be natural causes in old age; we get distressed over ordinary hardships in life such as lack of finances or any kind of tragedy you can imagine such as flood, fire, famine, tornado etc., I can't go into everything that happens but we all know everyone gets hardships of all kind.

Job was the example in the Bible who, when he lost his children his servants his cattle (which was his financial stability and food etc and he lost absolutely EVERYTHING EXCEPT his wife), he still remained resolute that God was on the throne and he wouldn't give God the blame.

The wife wanted Job to curse God and die, but his response in a nutshell was such as this - "Don't be so foolish wife, God gives and God takes away, blessed be the Name of the Lord" and the Bible is specific in that Job never sinned with His lips.

You see Job wasn't aware of the (spiritual) battle which was going on in the spiritual realm between God and the Devil but God was RELYING on JOB to stay positive and still love God even in all his despair and heartache at the loss of his children etc.

Christians are not promised an easy road. We are walking on the NARROW, DIFFICULT Way to eternal life.

The broad road to destruction is the EASY ROAD. That road leads to Hell's torment for eternity, so you don't want to be on that road.

Christians are mocked, persecuted for our faith - martyrs are actually KILLED as Jesus was for their faith so if we are only persecuted and mocked and if we only have to keep a positive attitude and keep loving and trusting God in our tribulations we are fortunate.

Jesus said, "Through MUCH TRIBULATION we shall enter the kingdom.

So all that God is saying is, "In this world things will go wrong and you WILL be persecuted and get sickness and tragedies in your life but don't give up. Keep worshipping and trusting Me even in the sad or bad situations because I will never let you down, I am with you always"

Therefore, if whatever you are going through is a sort of test so that God can show Satan how much we still love God in those bad times, we will be in eternity and have a wonderful future with God and Christ. Keep positive and stand up no matter what happens and things will not seem as bad as they are and you will have God on your side always. He loves us with an EVERLASTING LOVE that will never let us go and never let us down.

Don't forget that when the disciples were actually BEATEN FOR CHRIST< they went away stinging and hurting no doubt but they REJOICED and SANG PRAISES TO GOD that they could be so privileged as to be required to suffer for His Name. They were DELIGHTED THAT IT HAPPENED.

• ...Show all comments
    • Snowbird
      Lv 6
      8 months agoReport

It is worth suffering a FEW YEARS of tribulation, pain, upset in this life, in order to live in total and absolute peace, joy, happiness, prosperity and perfect health for ETERNITY with Christ our Saviour and Deliverer. I can hardly wait.

• Alan H
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The Gospel is a permanent challenge to society’s norms.

It is inevitable that those who attempt to live by it will be opposed

Hence, such opposition is evidence that one is, to some degree, in God’s will. No excuse for deliberately upsetting people to stir up opposition

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

The only way to do that, to rejoice in the midst of worldly suffering, is to renounce the world. Once you do that, the world has no power to hurt you, you are then dead to the world of man and reborn into the world of Spirit. That is the ultimate state of liberation and a cause for rejoicing.

• 8 months ago

Because we know the misery won't last forever.

• 8 months ago

Ah, the theodicies flooding this Question! 'It’s part of god’s divine plan' theodicy tops the list. Is this a satisfactory apologetic for profound human suffering? No

Maybe our Sins are to blame, keeping god’s hands clean. Apologetics are written for the faithful to keep them faithful. If it helps them cope, then I’m glad. But theodicies are the single most common cause for apostasy and atheism.

• ...Show all comments
    • Gone Galt8 months agoReport

In any case, the inconvenience of a simple hangnail would be enough pain to question God's goodness. Why mention "profound" human suffering?

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Rejoice ONLY if you are suffering persecution for the Name of God.

Absolutely do NOT rejoice if you're sick: that's a lie from Satan. Satan comes only to steal, kill and destroy. Jesus came to destroy the work of the evil one (and what was He doing? Healing... all the time... healing).

Everyone has been deceived by Satan into believing that sickness is from God.

Tell me...

IF THAT WERE TRUE...

Why pray for healing?

If it's from God.. then we should all embrace being sick and beg for cancers so that we can suffer more! I hope you see how ridiculous that is.

If your circumstances are what's bothering you... then you should see them as an oportunity to (with complete abandon) trust God. Trust in God will give you peace.

Things you must 'own'....

Jesus healed you on the cross.

Healing and provision were as much a part of the atoning sacrifice as salvation is.

You MUST resist the devil. It's up to you. God gave you the power and authority to do so.... and draw close to God; the devil will flee.

Tell your problem about your God. Don't tell God what the devil has been telling you.

Predict your future. Call the things that are not as if they ALREADY were... call them into being.

You can't lie if you are agreeing with God.

Soak yourself in His Love. When you know how much you are loved, you are untouchable.

Rumour has it that John the disciple (who wrote the Book of Revelation and the Gospel according to John) was thrown into a vat of boiling oil and it did not harm him.

Cast your cares on God.

All God wants to do is care for you.

The question is, why won't you let Him?

Absolutely REJOICE if you suffer for His name.

We bow to the despised figure on the cross - to the world we are the lowest of the low.

In the end, does it really matter what any of these mere mortals think of us?

Only God's opinion counts.

Live your life for an audience of one.

Amen and amen!

• 8 months ago

What do you mean, "We already feel miserable"? Speak for yourself! Since I became a Christian, these verses in Isaiah 61 were 'given' to me at a worship service by a Christian who knew nothing about me, and those words have come to pass:

"...to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."

That Christian man praying those words to whoever were meant to hear them - he knew not who - had no idea that the young woman standing in front of him had been racked with despair and depression. But in a few year's time after that, those words of scripture were being worked out in my life.

Jesus answers your Q in Matthew 5 and all you need to do is prayerfully consider and believe His promises:

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you."

That's why Christians are not miserable now, and that is why they rejoice during trials and hardships.

• 8 months ago

Before Jesus came the Jews were errantly teaching wealth was a sign of favor from God. Jesus turned this belief upside down and said "the rain falls on both the just and the unjust" and that being wealthy was actually a detriment to getting to heaven

In other words it is in the divine plan that some are to undergo more hardships than others. While we don't know everything we will endure in our lifetime, God wants us to fully trust Him in whatever situation that is presented to us

• ...Show all comments
    • norine8 months agoReport

GOD SAID IN III JOHN 2 "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." DOES THAT SOUND LIKE "THE DIVINE PLAN THAT SOME ARE TO UNDERGO MORE HARDSHIPS THAN OTHERS?" IT'S THE RCC'S >>>DIVINE PLAN<<< ISN'T IT?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.