Does slapping on the arm/shoulder count as hitting?

My bf s untrained/hyper dog was jumping on me and hurting me, so I pushed it off. My bf immediately smacked me on the arm/shoulder. It didn t knock me over but it hurt. Later when I was still upset he apologized and said he didn t mean to do it, it was just a reflex, then asked me to forgive him. I told him I... show more My bf s untrained/hyper dog was jumping on me and hurting me, so I pushed it off. My bf immediately smacked me on the arm/shoulder. It didn t knock me over but it hurt. Later when I was still upset he apologized and said he didn t mean to do it, it was just a reflex, then asked me to forgive him.
I told him I forgive him but if he ever lays a hand on me like that again I m gone.

I guess my question is, does that count as him hitting me? Should I run from this relationship? Will it get worse? (First time he s done this in two years) Am I overreacting?!