Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 months ago

can I sue?

I let an ex girlfriend drive my car without a license & she put the wrong gas in my car (regular gas when it was supposed to be premium) & it messed up my car. I had to pay almost 3000 to get it fixed. Can I sue her?

Sorry but she'll probably sue you and she'll most likely win, have you ever thought about the risk of letting someone who does not have a license, drive your car? That's your fault and not hers.

• Athena

You let an unlicensed driver drive your car?

Ya, go knock yourself out,

Given you KNOWING allowed your car to be used in a CRIME, you are in poor shape.

Given that using one tank of 87 octane in a vehicle designed for 95 octane would do ZERO damage and not even be noticeable when the computer compensated, you have ZERO case.

• lucy

I LET (gave permission) for my EX to drive my car.

Did you ask your EX to buy gas while driving it? Or, when the EX returned your car, did your EX state, "I put gas in the car"?

As an EX, my "guess" is that you was aware that she had no license? Also, many people who need premium vs regular will tell or (complain) of having to pay more for gas.

https://jalopnik.com/why-putting-regular-gas-into-...

Seriously, if this was 1 time, then it is unlikely that the gas is the (real) problem of your extra cost to fix. My (late) husband had a sport car that required premium, and I "think" that by "accident" had gotten regular vs premium and he had it for over 14 years.

NO -- because you were wrong in the first place to lend your car to anyone without a license. You should be lucky that she did not hit or kill someone. You would have been responsible for that. By the way, didn't her or your insurance cover the damage? Oh, let me guess, neither of you have insurance?? You can always ASK her if she will split the cost with you

• SCATTY c

HIS insurance wouldn't cover a driver with no licence anyway and she wouldn't have insurance

• Tavy

Can you afford to sue as it's not free

And has she any money to give you if you win?

• Bruce

A sucessful lawsuit requires you to prove two things: negligence and damages.

Damages means you need to prove the wrong gas was solely responsible for the repairs.

Negligence means she did it on purpose.

All she needs to say is it was an accident and it is highly unlikely the court will rule in your favor. As far as the damages, that seems extreme under the circumstances. You will need an expert to convince the court the gas was responsible. Good luck with that.

Good luck. You would have to prove you told her the type of gas to use and you did not know she didn't have a license.

• Brian

You'd have better luck suing your mailman for flipping you off.

For that, yes since it's property damage. You have to take her to small claims court. Make SURE you have all your documentation.