. asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 months ago

why are Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles more beloved inside the mainstream ****$ than The Who, Genesis, Yes or Deep Purple?

dedicated to classic rock lovers only

Their music attracted far more listeners, I won't say it was MADE to fit popular radio formats but it did. Yes and Genesis, more than the other two, were made for FM, not AM, and they attracted a niche following - a sizable one but definitely NOT mainstream. The Who and Deep Purple had a much harder rock sound that also wasn't heard often on AM radio.

Radio play = sales = money = mainstream. Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles have albums on the Top Ten in all time sales.

Eagles are #1 (Greatest Hits 1971-75) and #3 (Hotel California) and Fleetwood Mac is #10 (Rumours).

The others, as great as they all were (Yes is among my favorite bands), do not have a Top 100 among them.

I like all of them.

• Quato

Just lucky I guess.

i like all those groups 

"curtisports" is quite wrong about The Who. "I Can See For Miles (#9, 1967), & 25 other singles in the Top 100 on Billboard. They also had 5 albums in the Top 10. Also wrong about Deep Purple. "Hush" (#4, 1968) , "Smoke On The Water (#4, 1973) & 6 other singles in the Top 100 on Billboard. They also had 3 albums in the Top 10.

• Killmouseky

curt: What a laughable failed effort to save yourself. You didn't specify any exclusivity to albums or sales. Then, in desperation, you bemoan my noting your spelling - when 5 U.K. bands are considered of the 6, I expect many U.K. readers. Quite playing "sore loser" & admit you got "schooled."

Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles are more pop than rock. Mick Fleetwood is a good drummer, but he will not be mistaken for Keith Moon. The Who wrote and performed 2 rock operas (Tommy and Quadrophrenia). Fleetwood Mac and The Eagles did not come close to doing anything similarly creative. Their albums were merely collections of singles, not concept albums. Jackson Browne's Running on Empty was more of a concept album because it was about life of a rock and roller on the road. Teenagers, who bought most of the recordings, have short attention spans. They like catchy tunes and singles better than LPs.

• RockIt

Because they wrote better pop music.