Abbeymeister asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

Is tail docking harmful for dogs?

I know farmers would dock tails of working dogs because their tails got in the way, and they would often get injuries from their tails being stepped on by cows or horses and could get seriously infected. I get that. But don’t dogs use their tails for balance? I suppose it would be like if a human lost an arm or an ear that would impair their balance. Years later it doesn’t hurt anymore, but it still hinders certain abilities. I know it’s just simply the traditional style of certain breeds, but if the dog isn't being used as a working dog, it seems like a strange and unnecessary thing to dock their tails.

I know a boxer who was docked because he half blinded another dog at the house by wagging his tail too hard. I met him years after the fact, but he seemed perfectly fine.

There are two reasons to do this

1 ) some people do it because their dog has “happy tail” or any type of medical condition that makes docking necessary. I know I had to get my dogs tail docked due to happy tail.

2 ) then there is people who do it for looks. But If there is no reason to do it, you shouldn’t. Healing process can be extremely painful.

It's unnecessary are i know people who do it just for looks. Why inflict any pain, short or long term on your dog just because you want them to look different than how they were born?

I wanted a pitbull when i was with my ex and he said "no they're dangerous and we'd have to cut his tail off because it could hurt me". That irritated me so i left him for being such a wuss and wanting my dog to go through a painful procedure just because he couldn't handle the tail whipping against his leg. So i left him and now i'm with my boyfriend of 3 years and we have a pitbull with her tail still intact and she's healthy and happy. And no, she doesnt hurt anyone with her tail.

No. I docked my basset hound puppy's tail and he turned out fine. Has his ears cropped too because they looked ridiculous.

• Evelyn Inez

Do feed the troll. If not fed he or she might crawl back under the bridge they came out from under.

• Ocimom

Tail docking is done on puppies 1-5 days old. After that it would be amputation and only done if the dog keeps injuring the tail.

Harmful? No. Necessary? No.

I got a Boxer cross that I wish did not have a tail. That tail HURTS. & things go flying off low furniture.

It is done when the tail is not bone yet & yes it hurts for a very short time. Takes only seconds to locate the right section & cut it off at that section. At that age, dewclaws can be cut off with fingernail clippers.

I just wish this Boxer X of mine did not have a tail. There are many sound reasons for docking tails. Cropping ears is a completely different story. Not unless it is called for by breed standards. Most ear cropping these days is only for the vanity of the owner.

• Star_of_Darkness

When born the tail is all bone. The tail is CUT off and its very painful and never needed

I do wish it was illegal in the States. Sadly, it isn't. Hopefully, when Biden wins, he'll fix this.

And yes, it is harmful.

• Nathan

Tail docking is no longer approved of unless you get a veterinarian to safely perform the surgery. They will leave just enough so that balance can't be affected, and will give pain medicine to the dog. There are so many risks when performing this surgery, like damage to the spine if but too far or infection, so in many places it has been banned

Yes. Tail docking is very bad. People think it is ok to do it to puppies because they think their nervous system isn't fully developed. But that is completely false. Tail docking can cause long term pain.

• Star_of_Darkness

It is bad. How would you like it if some one chopped off your body parts and used the same excuses people use to chop off dog tails

yes don’t do it or bad