Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 8 months ago

Have a girlfriend but have a crush on someone else?

I’ve been dating my girlfriend for almost 3 years now and it’s been good, we’ve had our share of fights and ups and downs but we’ve been there for each other and I love her. Problem is she’s the only girlfriend I’ve ever had, and I’ve just started college and I met this very pretty girl that I’ve been talking to and have been texting. If I wasn’t dating my current girlfriend, I’d be all over her. The curiosity of what it’s like to be with another girl is itching at me. I will not cheat on my girlfriend, but I don’t know what else to do.

If this long-term relationship with the girlfriend has run its course, then move on. It's up to you to decide that for yourself.

Relationships last until they don't

Either cut ties with the crush before it goes further, or break it off with your current girlfriend and go after the crush.

Unfortunately, those are your only two options. Keep in mind that the 'excitement' of something new doesn't necessarily guarantee anything - as the old saying goes 'the grass is always greener on the other side'.

This is why people need to be with a few different people before settling down with one. If she is in a similar situation to you, I dont see it ending well. I've known too many people in this exact situation and they've all either broken up, or one of them cheated.

My advice is to have fun with others while you're young enough to, it will eventually get to a point where you have a pretty good idea what being with multiple people is like, then you can knuckle down and focus on the really important stuff.

• RP

If having a girlfriend means you're in an exclusive relationship, perhaps you've made a mistake. You should discuss your feelings and your dilemma with your girlfriend and see whether she might be having similar concerns. Together you can work out some kind of arrangement that will allow you to continue to be together, but will also allow both of you more freedom. If that's not possible, then your relationship is doomed. You say you "will not cheat", but it's only a matter of time. Be honest with her and yourself.