Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 8 months ago

Why are there so many more obese women than obese men?

I go to a random place, and I can usually spot about twice as many women who are obese than men who are obese, especially above the age 40. Why? Women generally care about their looks more and are valued for their looks more, yet they are also generally more overweight than men.

Update:

Usually older men are bean pole skinny, whereas their wives are fat (50+ years old)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

Women carry more body fat genetically for the purposes of gestation so a poor diet usually affects them faster than it does men who eat the same way. But we also have some unrealistic expectations for what passes as "fit" between the genders. Women have always been considered most lovely at well below the recommended healthy body weight. Men on the other hand have been able to hide behind terms like "XL", "husky" and "big and tall" whereas overweight women were just "fat". So it may just be more jarring for you to see an obese woman than an obese man because historically women have strived for extremes whereas men haven't. But it's also a fact that after childbirth it's MUCH harder for women to lose weight, this is hormonal.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

I think obesity is mostly about emotional eating/emotional distress in a person's life. So they over eat to fill a void. it's not healthy by any means and all of this overeating has caused a huge increase in diabetes.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

more obese single women, more very tall single women

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Female bodies are biologically designed to acquire body fat, for reproduction, for the survival of the species. So it's easier for women to put on fat than it is for men. Despite this the difference is only about 1% -- 39 for men, 40 for women.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Elana
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Why do you use your experience here when there are THOUSANDS of reports on obesity by gender, religion, region, height etc? Your experience only shows what you personally have been exposed to by random chance.

• 8 months ago

I have the feeling that it's a harder battle to lose weight after having a child with all the metabolism and hormone changes.

• 8 months ago

1. You may, for various reasons, be seeing what you expect to see. We are not always the best at estimating ratios when we're looking at large numbers of people (for example, studies suggest that many/most people will look at a crowd scene that is about 70% men and read that as being "equal" numbers of men and women, and a crowd that actually is equal numbers as being mostly women)

2. Men can hide extra weight better. Between their greater height, their generally larger overall size, and differences between typical male and typical female clothing (and possibly other factors I'm not thinking of), an average man who's 40 pounds overweight will look skinnier than an average woman who's 40 pounds overweight.

3. Men tend to have more active metabolisms. They build muscle a little more easily, they "burn hotter", and in general they can use up more calories from their food than a woman of similar size. So if a man and a woman have similar diets, the man will have less fat than the woman.

4. Women are inherently/naturally a little fatter. Women have a layer of fat under their skins that men don't, so an equivalently fit man and woman will have different body fat percentages. This likely translates to, well, more fat women than men even given pretty closely equivalent habits.

5. Pregnancy. Women who were pregnant often have trouble losing the "baby weight" afterwards, especially if for whatever reason they can't or don't breast-feed.

6. Social pressure. Women have more general social pressure to "look good", but on the specific matter of physical fitness, and especially muscle mass and/or strength, it's men who have most of the social pressure. Especially where machismo is a significant factor, how strong a guy is is, well, very socially important.

And possibly other factors I'm not thinking of.

• 8 months ago

Seems about 50/50 to me, maybe its just in your area

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.