Tay asked in PetsDogs · 10 months ago

Does anyone give their dog coconut oil?

I heard coconut oil is good for dogs and helps their skin and fur. I just started giving it to her yesterday. I want to hear what yall's experience is giving dogs coconut oil

Turns OUT you have a dog you "just RESCUED" that is underweight or in your opinion, was "starved". If starved, it DID NOT come from a bona-fide rescue group OR shelter. So stop PREVARICATING or playing "word games".

You DO NOT PUMP the dog up, with lots of HIGH CALORIE FAT source...... unless you want DIARRHEA. Coconut oil (in small amounts) can have health benefits, but is NOT for FORCING a starved or very underweight dog to "QUICKLY GAIN WEIGHT".

Take the dog to a vet => for the best ADVICE on feeding it. NO underweight or STARVED dog should EVER gain - more than 2 pounds per week. So getting an EXACT current weight, finding out what it should WEIGH -(and make sure it is parasite free) and getting veterinary advice on how many meals (per day) what type of food to feed, is what you need to do.

I bought a pot of this and gave it to mine but as I saw absolutely no change in them, good or bad, most of it's still in the cupboard!

• Maxi

Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is an immune builder and perfectly safe for dogs...not something I use for my dogs.

Coat/skin condition comes from what you feed ( and also grooming) and the dogs immune system needs to be working at optimum levels which protects the dog ( or any animal including humans) from minor illnesses and generally keeps them healthy......... the commercial rubbish many feed their dogs causes a low immune system because the food fed is packed full of ingredients that is unsuitable and unused by dogs...which is why so many dogs suffer from so called 'allergies'. So if your dog has a poor skin/coat it is more likely because of lack of grooming and the food you feed

No. After having a dog with chronic pancreatitis, I'm very careful about making sure my dogs get the correct amount of fat. I am careful about table scraps and coconut oil is just pure fat.

If there is something wrong with my dog's skin, I take the dog to the vet. Is there something wrong with your dog's skin?

ETA: Alex, the pancreas doesn't know the difference between good fat and bad fat.

• Tay10 months agoReport

You do know coconut oil is a good fat, right? There is a difference between good fat and bad fat

• Sky

You should only ever give a different food to your dog on the approval or recommendation of her veterinarian. If this is just something that you "heard", or read on the internet, considering how much misinformation there is out there, you have to know for a fact that it's safe before you do. There are some foods that are toxic, even deadly, to dogs despite being perfectly safe for humans to eat. I don't know of any safety issue with coconut oil for dogs but you still should check with the vet on the health benefits vs. the risks, the quantity to use, etc.

• Sky

A veterinarian would know a hell of a lot more correct and verified information about animal nutrition than just what someone heard/read on the internet. And if a question was asked that the vet didn't know, he/she would consult with a nutritionist and get back to the client later.