Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 9 months ago

i need a form for my doctor to fill out so i can have a service dog?

You would get it from your Dr or from the service dog agency that you are trying to get a dog thru.

• Christa9 months agoReport

Thank you for your kindness and giving me a proper answer, it is much appreciated!

Your doctor or psychiatrist would be the ones to write in your file that a service dog would benefit you. From a service dog handler to someone thinking about getting one. Please do NOT fill out the online registries, they are scams. They don't come out to evaluate the dog they just send you a piece of paper and say your dog is a service dog...I just want to make you aware that even though a service dog can help with everything you need them to do (saw the list on one of your comments to someone else), they can also make your anxiety and panic disorder worse..especially if you are the type of person to panic if someone is staring at you because having a service dog is like walking around with a big red "X" on your forehead. Everyone will stare at you, ask to pet your dog, just run up to pet your dog WITHOUT asking, demand to know why you have a service dog (you don't have to tell them), etc. Then after that if you still think you could handle all of that, then you'd need to think about the dog its self. Are you the type of person that can handle long haired dogs or do you prefer short haired? large dog or small dog? Then there is this breed over this breed. There are certain breeds of dogs that don't make the best psychiatric service dogs such as the herding breeds because they actually feed off of your anxiety but thats not to say that they all do because i actually have a herding breed for my SD. There is also a fab 4 of breeds that make good service dogs which are goldens, labs, standard poodle and i forget the 4th but that doesn't mean that those are they only breeds you can use. Any breed can be a service dog but just remember not every dog can be a service dog. They go through an insane amount of work to make sure they can handle every situation possible such as people running up to them, children, fireworks, shopping carts, people in hats, people with canes, tall people, short people, other dogs, other animals, strollers, anything you can think of they are socialized to it and trained to handle it. Its typically 2+ years to have a fully trained service dog. If you have anymore questions feel free to comment below and I can help out.

Relax, you doctor will have access to the form and should also be able to point you in the right direction in terms of finding an organization that trains and matches dogs with people.  

Please also understand that there is a difference between a service dog and an emotional support animal.  A service dog is trained to provide a very specific set of skills to enable their owner to function independently.  This is like a seeing eye dog or a dog that will alert the owner about seizures.  A ES animal doesn't necessarily require any special training.  The role is simply to provide comfort.  You should feel free to discuss all of this with your doctor.

Good luck.

Your Doctor or Psychiatrist can get you one if you qualify for one. Yes, the Doctor or Psychiatrist have the papers they need to help you get a Service Dog if you qualify.

If you live where you cannot have a dog, your Psychiatrist can write out a letter for an Emotional Support Dog. That would at least let/allow you to get a dog. But it does not give you Service Dog privileges. You cannot take the dog where dogs are not allowed.

If you have watched any of the videos of Walmart Service Dogs you can tell right away it is NOT a Service Dog. I go up to these people & ask if it is or isn't. If they say it is, I tell them of all the things I see that tells me it is not a Service Dog.

Start by talking to your Doctors.

• Christa9 months agoReport

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate the time you took to help me, take care!

• patty

well get one then but not sure where from

• Christa9 months agoReport

Thank you Patty, I should have made my message more clear. I just didn't know where to get the form. I am looking to get one so I contacted my doctor

• Jack H

Your doctor has them...

• Christa9 months agoReport

Thank you Jack, I just left a message for my doctor now. Have a great day!

• JetDoc

If your Doctor actually thought you NEEDED a service dog, he would provide the proper form to you.

• Christa9 months agoReport

Hi there, I am simply asking a question. I didn't know if anyone knew where to get the form. But I don't know why you would stay if I needed one, I happen to very much need one. I have PTSD, bipolar, depression, and anxiety and panic disorder. I think that's need enough sir, thank you