Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

how do i make up for doing something bad?

when i was 15-17 i did some stupid things such as smoke weed, sneak out to bad neighborhoods to hang with friends, lie about going to school then now i’m 18 and i’ve been doing very well and graduated and i don’t lie to my dad and i don’t sneak out but last night around 9pm my friend was being abused at her home in the city and was feeling very badly and needed someone to get her (54 mins from my house) and i lied to my dad and said i was going somewhere else but instead i went to the city and got her and didn’t get home till 12 and now she’s secretly in my room until her bf and mom comes and gets her and i feel guilty for lying and taking the car and idk why i feel so guilty it’s not as bad as things i’ve done before. i think i did the right thing helping my friend or did i not?

just tell your dad that you needed to her your friend

"i think i did the right thing helping my friend or did i not? "

It's not the worst lie in the world, but it's not this simple and I think you know that. If it was the right thing, why not tell dad the truth? My guess is you were putting yourself at risk and you didn't want him to know it. It could be the long drive into the city, maybe going through bad neighborhoods. Maybe she lives in a bad area. Maybe the biggest risk of all is the volatile situation in her home.

It's good you feel guilty! That's because this shouldn't have happened. I also don't get why she didn't call her mom or her boyfriend. This matters, because one thing you want to do is tell her you can't do this again. You can help her come up with ideas to change her living situation, etc. It's important you do this, because you're protecting yourself.

You overcome your past bad deeds by improving your behavior in the future (because you are powerless to change the past). But doing good deeds shouldn't require poor behavior and are no excuse for repeating poor behavior (like lying). You feel guilty because you already know this to be true.

If what you did for your friend was the right thing to do, you should have been able to be honest with your Dad about it. Apparently you had your own doubts to feel a need to lie.

Just like before the path to overcome past poor deeds is to do good deeds in the future, and in this case it would be to admit to your father you lied and tell him about your "secret" visitor.

Just tell your dad the truth, you really needed to go get a friend who was in trouble and you are sorry you lied about it.

Do you think God leaves the room just because you're doing something bad?

Do you think the one that made the eye doesn't see?

Do you think the one who made the ear doesn't hear?

The reason why you feel guilty is because you ARE guilty.

The good news is that God wants (nothing more) than to forgive you.

Why sit there until you die?

If you remain where you are, you must perish.

If you go to Jesus you will live. If you sit in sullen dispair no one can pity you when your ruin comes; but if you were to die SEEKING MERCY (as IF that were possible) you would be the object of universal sympathy.

You know others who were saved by believing in Him (your own friends and neighbors); so why not you? Why not taste and see that the Lord is merciful?

To perish is awful. We assure that if you seek Him, you will find Him, for He casts out none who come to Him. You shall not perish if you trust Him. On the contrary; you shall find treasure; eternal treasure, that will be stored up for you beyond this life.

We preach to the living even where the vultures gather because we must. Because we know the truth, and the truth will set you free. Because we too were about to perish when we got up and sought mercy for ourselves. We preach because God has ordained us to do just that. A sacred responsibility.