Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 months ago

Wby do vegans think they can't get cancer?

Cancer isn't something eating brocoli will stop

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Just they think they are immune from heart disease. Whilst RED meat in EXCESSIVE quantities can be a risk factor, a flexi-pesco-pollotarian diet - one which includes chicken and fish, and occasional lean red meat -is far better

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

I think a lot of it comes from the non-vegan community as well trying to make vegans look gullible and simply exposing the gullibility of their own community instead.

I have yet to meet, or hear from via social media, a vegan that actually believes they are cancer proof, claims that a vegan diet (any of the numerous kinds of vegan diets available) are cancer proof or have done anything more than show the research that states a healthy vegan diet simply improves one's chances of not getting cancer (fact) but not that it makes them cancer proof.

• GEEGEE
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Unlikely but they may believe the risk is lessened. Fruits and veggies have lots of fiber and antioxidants.

• 9 months ago

You may be referring to colon cancer, which can be somewhat safeguarded w avoidance of red meat

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jeff H
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

That is a blanket statement which is incorrect, the truth is that some vegans believe that their diet makes them immune from many diseases including cancer while others know only to well that simply being a vegan is not a guarantee of anything in relationship to health. Studies have shown that vegans have a significantly lower chance of getting certain types of cancer however chance does not fully equate to actually getting something. However many so called "doctors" promote this idea and generally have a book or program for sale that will help you achieve it.

The facts are that depending on the actual risk factor an increase or decrease in the risk factor may sound good but in reality it is not that big a deal. For example people who eat red meat were told that their risk factor for one cancer increased by 20% however in percentage terms the normal risk factor was 5% so a 20% increase raised it to 6%. In the same way a 20% reduction in the risk factor for a cancer with the same 5% risk merely reduces it to 4%.

What is interesting about the studies relating to the vegan diet is that they all make the assumption that the individual is properly supplementing their diet and achieving the correct nutritional balance. If this is not done then there are many non-cancer related health issues that can occur under the vegan diet. Just as an example, I know a vegan who blames certain holes in their memory on a trauma they experienced several decades ago. However I noted that these "holes" seem to be increasing and they often relate not to past memories but current actions such as being unable to recall certain actions they have recently taken. This is often a symptom of a B12 deficiency and leads me to wonder if this individual is properly supplementing their diet. Since it can take up to 20 years for symptoms to appear and they are approaching their 20th year as a vegan it does make me wonder.

• ...Show all comments
    • Wendigo
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

of that fact as well. He's been a contributor in this section, for several years now.

• 9 months ago

"Wby do vegans think they can't get cancer?"

The reason why SOME vegans and also SOME think that they can't get cancer is that for SOME types of cancer are reduced. However there's an equal offset, that the risks for some other types there's a slight increase for the risk for some other types. With that said, some try to use what they've bought into, what SOME of those who are SUPPOSEDLY medical professionals has claimed, or otherwise tried to lay claim as fact. Those though that has bought into those who are vegan or those who specifically follow the strict vegetarian diet, which is the diet that vegans follows, is based on belief, and not scientific facts, but put forth by a few doctors, and some in the field of homeopathy, and those who accept what those two groups says, usually has at some level a high gullibility factor.

Yet there's one vegan, who is a regular in this section, who will quickly dispute such claims, as they're a cancer survivor. I have a great deal of respect for them, and their honesty. So not all vegans claim or believe that they're somehow immune to not only cancer, but also any of the other litany of claims of immunity to specific types of diseases. So any generalized sweeping broad sweeping statements about vegans, vegetarians, or any of the other dietary types, is a poor choice of either wording, or believe that all can be pigeon holed as being all the same.

• ...Show all comments
    • Wendigo
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Louis that's a give take type of thing, and not just with meat, but even plant based foods, including an all whole foods plant based diet.

• 9 months ago

Because they do not know what they are talking about.

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

“Vegans” don't think that. There are, of course, some silly ignorant, misinformed kids who make these claims. They don't represent vegans though and probably won't be vegan next month.

• Wendigo
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

While a lot are very young, there are also a lot of supposedly mature adults that believe the same. I(t all comes down to how gullible a person is, regardless of their age. But generally you're pretty close to the mark.

• 9 months ago

A good diet DOES help against diseases.

• mrh-slos
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

Veganism is not a good diet, one which includes fish and some, mainly white meat is better. 

• 9 months ago

There are various reasons why the risk of cancer on some plant-based diets is lower than that on a typical Western diet. Just on the subject of broccoli, the first cancer drugs were discovered when it was noted that exposure to mustard gas cured skin cancer. Mustard gas is based on mustard oil and nitrogen and sulphur mustards were developed to treat cancer. All plants in the cabbage family contain the precursors of mustard oil, which is generated when their tissues are damaged, so in fact broccoli would for that reason alone, not to mention a number of others, reduce the risk of cancer.

• ...Show all comments
    • nineteenthly
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

But what you hae to bear in mind is that we aren't doing it for our health and I for one don't care if I get cancer or not. When my time has come, it's come.

• patty
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

this woman who had a health food store died of cancer

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.