Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 months ago

How much is reasonable?

I’ve just been offered my first full time job after leaving college. I’ll make around £250 a week and my mum is asking for £100 of it a week. I’m more than happy to pay my mother rent but I feel like half of my wages isn’t reasonable, it is not as if we are going through any financial issues or whatnot. The job that I’ve been offered is quite strenuous mentally and physically and requires I’m on my feet all day, it feels like a shame to work so hard to just hand over half my wages. It’s disheartening. I’m more than happy paying rent/board whatever you’d like it to be called but my mother never had to pay that much rent, her friends children don’t, my friends don’t, our family don’t. We also live in a one bedroom flat so it’s not as if I’m paying for the luxury of my own room. As well as that my mum also knows I’ve been trying since I was 16 (and my mother told me she would not buy me driving lessons for my 17th birthday) to save up for driving lessons and a car. The highest I ever made it was £1,300 but now I’m back at £580 due to all the things my mother already gets me to pay for. It feels like I’ll never be able to save any money with only £100 a week because of course I must spend that on other things. How much would you say is reasonable out of £250 a week?

• Eva

That is a lot to pay per week, especially when you don't have your own space. How much is the rent for the flat per month and how many people live there? The fair thing would be to divide the total rent by the number of people living there. You might need to kick in a little more for food. If you are paying other household bills, that should be taken into consideration.

whatever you can afford

Half of 250 is 125. What is the £100 for? Does it include food, lavatory paper, washing up liquid...…? Electricity, Council Tax, wifi, etc.? The obvious thing is to find somewhere lese for less.

What is reasonable is not compared to your friends or your mother's friends, but compared to what other people pay that don't have the option to live at home have to pay. Not just rent, but utilities, food, etc. (all the things that make home comfortable to rest in after your physically and mentally demanding job.

• audrey

She's being unreasonable. But since you can't afford to move out, I guess you're stuck. Try and find some friends to share an apartment with or something.