Anonymous

Applying for federal jobs out of state a bad idea?

There's not many jobs in the area I live in so I would have to re-locate for jobs that I want. I've been applying to federal jobs on USAJOBS.GOV but would I have to travel to that state for an interview (like a normal job) then get sent back to my original state waiting for a response?

This would cost SO much money that I don't have although I am willing to re-locate. I simply cannot keep traveling to different states simply for interviews with jobs that I may or may not get.

Yes it's a bad idea. Remember to never travel alone. Always bring 15 characters with you.

Not a bad idea. But they would typically hire locally. If a potential employer wants to interview you, they would pay for your plane tickets.

• Casey Y

Not when the employer is the US government interviewing for average jobs..,

The computer may automatically reject you if you reside very far away. Better to move where the jobs actually are. 

• Lv 7

Clueless.

It be such a waste of money traveling along distance for an interview.

Your choice is simple; relocate to a bigger city where the jobs exist.

• Lolly

Maybe they would Skype or Facetime?