Hung up on the processor choices. Similar specs but the cheaper one looks better. Am I being lied to or am I losing my mind?

I'm trying to put a PC together to run Underworld Ascendant and I'm getting hung up on the processor choices. The AMD Phenom II X4 B99 potentially fits in my system and its specs look almost identical to the Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.30GHz. Could the AMD work? Are they pushing a more expensive part at me for money? All I see on the comparison sites are the power requirement difference (95W AMD / 65W Intel) and the overclock ability for the Intel. What realy blows my mind is that the AMD has double the L1 and L2 Cache! Am I losing my mind?

• stan l

If your motherboard will take the AMD and you're cheap, go with the AMD. If you can spend some bucks, buy a motherboard and the Intel and build a good computer.

https://www.game-debate.com/can-I-run/ answered my question... I think.

I always go with AMD over Intel, but that's just me. I believe they have a superior product for less money. If the motherboard will take the AMD, then I'd go with that.

consult gaming oriented website such as tomshardware.com and read their cpu power chart. they actually tested them in gaming situations. the i5-6600 is in the top tier and no X4 BE is any higher than the third tier. I think you'll get far superior results with the intel cpu

Yes, you ARE losing your mind.

What you need to do is look at your motherboard choice as Intel CPUs and AMD CPUs are not interchangeable. They have different sockets into which they fit. i.e. you motherboard choice would make ALL the difference.

• Kevin9 months agoReport

I'm aware they are different sockets. My hangup is that the AMD seems to out perform the baseline of the Intel.