Is breaking a child's toy on purpose closer to child abuse than a little spanking?

I am not pro spanking but I swatted my grandchild once for being naughty and my son got mad at me. But then a month later when my grandchild was naughty he aggressively kicked in temper one of my grandchild's toys breaking it to pieces. Now I told him that can be traumatizing and smashing a little kids toy in... show more I am not pro spanking but I swatted my grandchild once for being naughty and my son got mad at me. But then a month later when my grandchild was naughty he aggressively kicked in temper one of my grandchild's toys breaking it to pieces. Now I told him that can be traumatizing and smashing a little kids toy in front of them is much scarier than a swat on the bottom. Now I gree with taking toys away when kids are naughty and giving them back again when the kids behave but breaking and kicking a toy in anger is wrong. As a child I'd take all the spankings in the world instead of my parenylts breaking one of my favourite toys.