Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 8 months ago

Is breaking a child's toy on purpose closer to child abuse than a little spanking?

I am not pro spanking but I swatted my grandchild once for being naughty and my son got mad at me. But then a month later when my grandchild was naughty he aggressively kicked in temper one of my grandchild's toys breaking it to pieces. Now I told him that can be traumatizing and smashing a little kids toy in front of them is much scarier than a swat on the bottom. Now I gree with taking toys away when kids are naughty and giving them back again when the kids behave but breaking and kicking a toy in anger is wrong. As a child I'd take all the spankings in the world instead of my parenylts breaking one of my favourite toys.

It's very disturbing that an adult, a parent no less, would have a temper tantrum and "aggressively" kick a toy and break it to pieces. That's a huge indication he has major anger issues, and eventually that aggression is going to be taken out physically on his child and everyone else around him.

Being deliberately destructive is always inappropriate, whether it be toward an object or a person. Spanking a kid or throwing a tantrum and smashing something to bits are both immature and out of line. As for you spanking your grandchild, you were also WAY out of line. I hope you haven't been allowed unattended with him since.

• Archer

So you believe teaching your child that destruction of something is a good way of expressing yourself?

• Jeni

You hit, you teach them to hit

You break something in anger, you teach them to do the same,.

Neither is abuse. All kids need to be spanked, its the best and most effective form of discipline and children own nothing so its never abuse to break something you, by law, own

Get a fresh green switch a lite his little *** up and if your son has a problem with it lite his *** up to! Then throw some uncooked rice on the floor and make both of them get on their kneed for 30 minutes to an hour.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't make their opinion correct.

• edward

Well...the red marks on his bottom will fade in a few minutes. But he’ll remember the toy

• Suzy Q

Really? You're that immature? When you are told you're not allowed to do something, you cry to the world, "but HE did THAT!"?

You don't spank someone else's child without explicit permission from the parents. Period. Nothing, NOTHING the child's actual parent does, makes that okay. 

Is it good parenting to destroy a child's toy in a fit of rage? No. Not if that is how it happened. But I was raised to understand the simple fact that two wrongs don't make a right. And what you did was wrong. 

Absolutely not, this type of punishment is childish and it only teaches kids that it's ok to break other people's stuff. If he wanted to punish his child, he should have just taken the toy away or put his child in timeout. However destroying it made no sense and I'm sure that your grandchild was very frightened.