Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 2 months ago

I have many files that take many gigabytes to store.They re 16 GB.How to compress them to make them really small.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Hi. What the best method of compression for those files is would depend VERY heavily on what types of files they are, & what was used to create them with - an office program, a video recorder / camera, a database software, an email program, an internet newsgroup server, ... all use different types of data within their files that can be damaged if You perform a bad compression operation on them.

The most reliable method of compressing files is with one of the top 3 software choices - Winzip, WinRAR, or 7zip. There's also a utility used by Macs called StuffIt but that was from a long time ago, I don't think that set of compression routines is used anymore by Macs.

Otherwise, 16Gbs is really not a "large amount of space". Most USB flashdrives for $4US can handle over 32Gbs, & a double-layer DVDR from a $20US pack of 50 blank discs can hold 9Gbs of data, so 2 of those would be plenty to store all the smaller files. And if You got a $70US BluRay-capable burner for Your computer it would hold either 25 or 50Gbs of data per disc for about $1US each blank disc.

G'Luck!!!

• Ducky
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Probably not the best if it is something like a video file as that would mean a huge loss in visual and audio quality.

You're best off uploading to online storage, Mega.nz gives you 50gb of free storage, you can simply create multiple accounts to take advantage of that

• keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No need to compress. I only had bad experiences with it. No need to zip. To cumbersome to do that just to read a file for two seconds.

Why not buy an external USB hard drive, say 500GB, and move some of your least accessed files there?

• 2 months ago

There are various methods, and several caveats. I suggest you search online for "file compression".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You could store them in a cloud service like Google Drive or Microsoft Sky Drive, or save them to a flash drive/external hard drive. Also, you can compress files by turning them into a .zip or .rar file.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.