something cold and a cold thing?

Something cold was plunged into my arm.

A cold thing was plunged into my arm.

Do these two sentences have almost the same meaning?

What are the differences in nuance between them?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

There is a difference between "something" and "a thing," just as there is a difference between people who speak English and people who guess at answers to questions like these.

"Something" refers to something you are unable to identify. "He saw something blocking the road" (but he couldn't tell what it was). "Something cold was plunged into my arm" (and I didn't know what it was).

"A thing" may or may not be something you can identify. "A cold thing was plunged into my arm. It was an icicle." "A cold thing was plunged into my arm. It may have been a syringe." "A cold thing was plunged into my arm. I don't know what it was."

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • John P
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The normal form is "Something cold was plugged into my arm". That sounds a curious idea - "plugged into an arm". Do you mean that somebody plunged a knife into your arm - note "plunged".

• Where did that "plugged" come from?

• 9 months ago

'A cold thing' sounds awkward and childish. 'Something cold' is more adult.

• RP
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

They mean the same and there are no apparent differences in nuance.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

something cold; some cold thing; a cold thing. same meaning, except the idea of "some" allows the thing to be many or not unified (in a plural form) whereas "a" requires it to be singular. Something is more vague than "a" thing.

• 9 months ago

Exact same thing.

• 9 months ago

Heat flows from higher to lower temperature. so when you keep hot things in normal temperature, the heat from hot object transfers to the environment until they are both on the same level.

same happens when a cold object is kept in normal room temperature, the heat from the environment transfers to the cold object until they are both equal.

its all about achieving the equilibrium in a system

• 9 months ago

they mean the same thing

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

To most people they will be the same

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.