Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 9 months ago

why do we need to learn greek mythology in school?

school is for learning facts, not myths. Anyway, who cares about greeks or what they believed it has 0 relevance to us

Update:

my question is why do we need to study greek mythology 

Update 2:

mythology by definitions means not factual

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago

The Greeks myths are an age old way of teaching us about the human condition. Knowing Greek mythology means one can know the self, I think. Each myth has a lesson and I have come to know just how Ancient Greeks saw and understood themselves and their world. Much has changed yet much remains the same. Learn those Greek Myths and open your mind to more.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • donnie
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Evidently some people do. Probably it is a easy class so people take it as a blow of class. Some people also may be majoring in mythology, religion, or something like that.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Well, aside from demonstrating an ability to understand and learn more complex concepts than just facts and figures, it also provides psychological insight into people as a whole, and the way they form myths and legends to explain the world around them, to teach crucial moral lessons, and to entertain, horrify or enthrall us. Myths and legends of the classical age to a very large degree inform our lives and fictions to this day. Just because you dont understand it doesnt mean it doesnt have value.

• 9 months ago

For the balance of your life you will encounter references to Greek mythology in all facets of life, it turns out to be very helpful to have an understanding of it, at least a grasp of the major gods. I can't tell you how many times I've felt the need to research various Greek Gods in order to understand some obscure reference. Also, some day you may go the Louvre, where there is an extensive collection of Ancient Greek statues, at which point you will appreciate having some knowledge of what you are looking at. Who knows, maybe you will visit Greece someday, be nice to have a basic clue. Studying and understanding history is one of the best things you can do for yourself, it makes you look wicked smart when you know history.

Source(s): Like you, studied Greek Mythology - I think in 8th or 9th grade, in ~1970.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

trollolololololol

• 9 months ago

Is this really a question? You seem to just be stating your dumbass opinion. Finish school kid.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.