Is having significantly older parents a disadvantage to having younger parents?

I feel that older parents are often much more disconnected with the current world and current trends and don't understand how to properly parent their child to live in the current world. They teach their children outdated things and outdated beliefs that don't necessarily hold true today as fact, even when it's not at all factual today and are more out of touch so to speak. And by older, I mean parents who have their first child at age 40+ and by the time their children are malleable to be taught things about the world and in school, they are 50+

How old are you, 10?

• edward

My mother who is 56 now, i’m 25 just learned how to use Facebook. She can’t fathom Twitter, Snapchat or Insta, she doesn’t get it, having younger parents doesn’t mean anything these days

I think having older parents is a disadvantage, but not because they aren't atop current trends or teach outdated beliefs. Instead because they are less active or have the energy to keep up with small children.

It's a good thing that what you "feel" has nothing to do with reality.

That isn't universal.  Older parents aren't all out of it.  Some are very current and up to date on things.  I am an older parent, not that old but certainly wasn't a teenager when I started having kids.   I keep up with social media, music trends, fashion, pop culture stuff even more than my kids do.  So I guess it depends on the parents in question.