Does a Tenant have to talk directly with Landlord?

I have a previous rental home which was managed through a property management company. The homeowner however keeps contacting me directly. I keep contacting my property manager to have them discuss with the homeowner. The homeowner is very pushy, and if i do not respond fast enough he messages and calls non stop. It is quite intimidating and i feel that my manager (whom i pay rent to) needs to be following up with the homeowner. So do i as a tenant have an obligation to talk directly to the homeowner when a property manager is involved?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

Tell him you will only discuss it with the property managers. If it continues block his calls.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

You would be foolish to ignore the LL.

• 8 months ago

If there's a property manager, they're the ones who manage the property - and so should be the middle man between the landlord and tenant.

• 8 months ago

The property manager is their agent, but if the owner wants to deal direct...that's with whom you have a contract.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 8 months ago

It's not up to you.. it's up to the landlord and property manager who speaks with you.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

The property manager is the landlord as the landlord is paying for them to do that job, so the landlord doesn't have to deal with the tenant directly... So that is what you tell the tenant, you do not deal with the tenant directly everything has to go through the manager and block the tenants number

• 8 months ago

The owner calls the shots. If you choose to ignore him, he'll find a way to evict you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
    • Lolly
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

You're mixing up leasing and slavery.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

i would call the homeowner about it

• GEEGEE
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

The homeowner is the person harassing her. She wants to deal with the property manage, not the owner. that's her problem.

• Lolly
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Absolutely not.

You are the customer.

Block the number.

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

You may not have the obligation to "talk" to them, but you do need to communicate with them. They are the property owner. They can delegate responsibility to the property manager (or not) at their discretion.

Refusing to talk to the property owner is like working for Amazon but refusing to talk to Jeff Bezos. Not wise. That being said, you do not owe the landlord instant gratification.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.